House speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question House speakers

I'm in the market for some new speakers for my bedroom. I been looking at brands like Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, and Cerwin Vega etc... I want a good bitchin stereo system in my room and not just the average type bookshelf system. Size is somewhat of an issue but what is more imporant is sound quality. I don't have a huge room but just your average size bedroom. Not sure the exact dimensions on it. I want good, top of the line speakers that lasts at least a good several years that I crank up and enjoy Any suggestions for what brand of speakers to take a look at??????? Tks everyone

Old 03-11-2003, 02:05 PM
i purchased a set of mirage speakers about 5 years ago, think i spent around 500 for the pair.

i use them often and have never regretted the purchase. from what i understand there are several canadian manufacturers that are making excellent quality speakers, mirage being one of them.

what was also nice was that while out of warranty i blew one of the drivers. i was totally at fault. (my son pinned the volume while we were spinning a tool cd), by the time i got to the receiver, the damage was already done.

i called the company, and they sent me a replacement driver free of charge. i was honest with them on the phone and they went above and beyond by sending me out the part quickly, and for free.

i have a rotel cd player, and a nad receiver and these speakers mesh nicely with the other components.

sad thing is i have a real nice nakamichi tape deck that now gets used about once every 6 months. that and my keyocera turn table thats in a closet somewhere. they even make stylus's anymore???

Old 03-11-2003, 02:31 PM
I've got Yamaha Reciever and CD-player and Paradigm (sp?) speakers and it sounds awesome. And doesn't take up a lot of room.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:12 PM

Tks guys for the replies. I like to see what other ppl say about there speakers when they actually have them and not just saying there opnion based on because they saw them or heard it from someone else.

I've never heard of mirage or Paradigm speakers before, do either have a website I can take a look at???? Anybody else gotta a pair of speakers in there house they like?????? All advice and suggestions are more than welcome. Tks everyone

Old 03-11-2003, 05:49 PM
I have a Klipsch center channel...TOP quality speaker,can't go wrong there...I also have some Polk rear surround speakers that i've had for years...Great quality and sound too...I think i would stay away from the Boston's if they are those little cube's..mostly a gimmick...not super sound...Great car audio manufacturer!..I say Klipsch or Mirage...Best bet is to go listen at the store!

Old 03-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Old 03-11-2003, 07:44 PM
D.AMMIT THERE'S NO DEALER LOCATED WITHIN 60 MILES OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH not for klipsch, or BA!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,, *****!!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!

There's a Circuit City and best buy within 30 miles of me but they don't carry the BA or Klipsch. If all else fails I just might have to settle with POS RCA speakers or Optimus cause speakerwise, that's all Radio Shack carries!!!

Last edited by f-150_91; 03-11-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:48 PM
For pricing, check out www.etronics.com. I bought JBL from them for about half of Beast Buy. They also carry other brands.

Old 03-11-2003, 08:43 PM
if its gonna be a general stero for you room i would suggest a Sony shelf system, i have one in my room here and at my Mt. house. But if its gonna be a surround system, i would suggest a pioneer hts receiver and KLH speakers, they sound great down at the shore house!!

moose

Old 03-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Klipsch speakers and McIntosh Amps - can't go wrong.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Hehe, I thought this was another political thread...

Old 03-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Old 03-14-2003, 07:45 PM
B&W or KEF speakers

Old 03-15-2003, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People have mentioned some really good speaker brands here, but it's always a matter of personal taste. Unfortunately, most people listen to a couple pair and then do the deal without really wringing them out. The human ear is very poor at remembering/comparing sound quality. Also, the listening environment at the typical Best Buy or mass outlet store is not conducive to real listening...the biggest difficulty is when doing A-B comparisons between speakers, the loudest set usually sounds "better." You really have to audition speakers so that they play back at the same decibel level.

And just for the record, you don't find "accurate" speaker brands like Paradigm, Klipsh, etc. at the mass outlet stores. If you want accurate speakers, you have to go to a shop that is at least upscale of the Best Buys, etc. That is not to say you can't buy decent sound there, but it's much more of a crap shoot.

If you go a little upscale, like Ultimate Electronics, etc., you open up a whole new spectrum of choices. Personally, I love Definitive Technology speakers, and have a set of the BP2002s in my home theater. Pick up any audio mag and the reviewers always rave about them, and I have to agree. Scope out some of their smaller sets in the "ProCinema" series: they are small mini-units that span a wide price range.

Just don't go Bose! Cheaply made; overpriced and crappy sound when compared to ANYTHING even slightly upscale.

Just my $.02

Good hunting!

Old 03-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: House speakers