For Those of you with vehicles arriving by rail

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Those of you with vehicles on Norfolk Southern or other Rail Carriers

All,

Being that I am totally consumed and obsessed with the arrival of my new F-150, I have been burning up the internet looking for any way to track the truck on the rails. Unfortunately unless you have a shipping account with one of the railroads this is nearly impossible in REAL TIME. However there is hope. In my research I came across two sites that have helped me. First since my truck is currently sitting at the Norfolk Southern Rail yard in KC, I pulled up their Terminal/Schedule. I'm pretty sure all the rail carriers have similar info available. The Norfolk Southern Schedule can be found here:

http://www.nscorp.com/nscintermodal/...ansascity.html

As you can see there are only 3 trains a day that leave this terminal:

223 - Louisville/Appliance Park, KY continuing to Austell/Atlanta, GA
20T - Harrisburg, PA
122 - Detroit, MI

Since I live in Alabama I'm 99% sure my truck will be on the 223 that leaves KC every day at 16:00 (4:00PM) and arrives in Austell, GA 3 days later at 12:00 Noon. So based on this info as soon as I get word that my truck is moving, I can get a pretty good idea of when it will arrive at the rail yard.

Another site you may want to check out is Skedz.com:

http://www.skedz.com/scripts/select_schedule_city.asp

It lists all the train schedules in the continental US. This may also help you get a general idea of when your new baby will arrive.

Pretty cool stuff!

-SeaRayder

Last edited by SeaRayder; 02-22-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Build Tracking Moderator
Boy.....you ARE obsessed
Nice research. Thanks for letting everyone know!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Also if you know your railcar number you can call Norfolk Southern at 800-497-2919 press option 1. The automated system will ask you to input your railcar number. The system wants 1 letter and 6 numbers. My Railcar was TTGX965893, so I had to enter "8" for the first letter T and then the railcar number 965893 leaving out the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Digits in the car number (TGX). So to if your car number was HGYT123456 you would drop the GYT and enter 4123456 on the keypad. That will get you the current location of your train. Once it reaches the distribution center use this document to see what trucking company services that facility. Lastly call that trucking company (mine was allied 404-373-4285) with your VIN handy and they can tell you when the vehicle will arrive at the dealer!

-SeaRayder

Last edited by SeaRayder; 02-22-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: For Those of you with vehicles arriving by rail