F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

V10 owners/towing TT.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question V10 owners/towing TT.

Hi

My TT...4700# + load on truck...probably another 1000#.

For starters...F250 i might be interested in would be 00/03 model...short bed..ext.cab...4X4...a/t...3.73 rear axle. V10

Anyhow...what are you guys towing...how does the V10 do...flat/upgrades 6-8%/down hill etc. Best/worst mpg.

Unloaded VS Solo...how is the ride? Long bed VS Short bed? Anyone have the camper pkg which i think is heavier front springs/rear stabilizer bar?

Ones ive seen...rear end of truck..seems to be sitting up higher..any problems leveling out rear end with TT...how much drop in ball mount?

My old f250 "long bed"...was really a bad ride unloaded...loaded it was a descent ride. It had cper.pkg..heavy springs etc 8800GVWR.

Im aware of low mpg with V10...no...no 5.4L for me. PSD is alot more than i need...but havent ruled it out yet!

Thanks for any replies. Good luck...OT

Old 09-24-2002, 09:15 PM
some answers

My 99's details are in my signature.

Answers to your questions:

I pull a 6400# dry weight TT no problem.

My V10 does very well, i do too much city driving and a diesel wouldn't suit my needs, so the V10 was the best Gasser option.

Does very good on upgrades/downgrades compared to my 1/2 ton, the 4wheel disk brakes work really well.

My best MPG=13.8 and worse MPG 9.6 pulling TT up north in UP Michigan.

Unloaded, is what i expected, although i believe i have the camper package because my front doesn't sag as most superduty's do. Loaded, it rides really good. I haven't used the helper springs as of yet on the rear, but someday might have to. lol

Now, my worst problem so far, is i had to take a weight distributing hitch and add 7" of 2x2 steel and regusset it, along with redrilling new holes so the tongue of the trailer can be near it's desired height of 17"; with the tall drop hitch, it only sat at 21" and went down the road with the trailer's front end up in the air and i dragged the rear wheels into the ground over alot of bumps. Much better now at the 17" height. Oh, the cost was $40 bucks for a certified welder from work to redo all this work on the hitch for me. He even X-ray'd the weld to ensure no flaws.

For me, GAS is still the way to go. I start my truck alot of the mornings to take kids to school, and to go to/from stores; so i tend to do alot of less then 5 miles per direction driving before shutting it down. I personally wouldn't want to wait 10 minutes before i get any power out of the diesel. I spent alot of time talking with friends who have the powerstroke in their superduty's and they all ended up recommending the V10 for my driving. They live in the country and are 20 miles from most stores so their trucks have time to warm up properly, so they went with diesel.

Best of luck, but i love my truck. I just wish FORD would make a supercrew in the F250 superduty like they did with the F150. I wouldn't mind having an even shorter bed, with a crew cab. When i'm ready for a new truck, Hopefully ford will make that, or i may have to go with an Avalanche since they offer a 3/4 ton with a 496 big block.

Laters

Old 09-25-2002, 04:20 AM
If you are going to tow alot, check into the camper package..Rear sway bar is nice..I have already upgraded shocks as well and tires.

Rides much better, and is under control as well..I do alot of towing with mine...I have the PSD...

Old 09-25-2002, 07:19 PM
Hi Msujon

I also use a wt. distributing hitch. My TT is low profile..13" tires. It already sits low enough...i cant have it sit any lower to ground.

I understand what you did...made shank longer so you could lower the head assembly. Made for more even hook-up. TT tongue not way up, so rear end not alot closer to ground.

That is problably what i would also have to do. Geez! Guess the change will be worth it.

Ride...well it is a SD. Maybe not much has changed but will find out..hope to test drive short bed SD soon.

Tks again. OT

BTW...recently met guy from Montana...said winters there -30 below..he had PSD...but kept in heated garage...he also thought not good to short drive them...also sitting out side cold weather not good...gotta plug in heater..but he sure likes it...

Mach I...know what you mean. Tks. Good luck OT

Old 09-25-2002, 07:48 PM
v10 Gas is fine

I have 99 Superduty crew 4x4 v10 with camper and off road pkgs.. I drive short trips and here in Sacramento diesel is out of the way too find and going about same as gas anyway. I tow a 4500lb wakeboard boat alot. I can do I5 through Reding to Shasta @ 70 no problem. Real fuel mileage is about 9.5-10.5 depending on my foot. unloaded about 11.5mpg.
I have a shell and stock tires.

Old 09-25-2002, 09:03 PM
I've been towing a 28' Wilderness that weighs in aound 6000 pounds +. Don't have any problems. The V10 really handles it's own.

Old 09-26-2002, 01:10 PM
Hey msujon71
Why did you say that because of city driving a diesel didn't suit your needs and go with the v10? Also what kind of mileage do you average on the v10?

Quick Reply: V10 owners/towing TT.