F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Battery too low to start truck this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery too low to start truck this morning...

Lately, on cold mornings when my truck hasn't been driven for a few days, I get a message on my info center that says "Check Brake System". The message flashes up on the screen for a fraction of a second, then goes away. I did some research on this, and it's a common problem when the batteries have a low charge level. Many people on other forums have said that they have taken their truck to the dealership for this issue, only to have the dealer run diagnostics, charge the batteries, and tell the owner that they could find no problems. Others have said that the dealer would replace one of the batteries, but not both batteries.

Today, when I went to start my truck, it wouldn't start. The truck had not been driven since last Saturday, so it had been sitting for six days. I hooked up my battery charger, and it showed a charge level of 11.6V, which is low. I'm going to do a fast charge on it, then leave it connected in maintenance mode for a few days. This is the first time I have ever used the battery charger on this truck.

I was wondering a couple things:

1. Do you guys with diesel trucks use any kind of battery maintainer to keep the charge level up during the winter?

2. Would you recommend taking it to a local auto parts store to have them check the batteries, and if so, how can they check them individually?

3. What is the best way to find out if there is a load on the batteries when the truck is turned off?

I know that with the dual battery setup. it is IMPERATIVE that both batteries be replaced at the same time, yet I have heard many people say that the dealer would only replace the one that had gone bad. I have heard that this is bad because the batteries will not be identical, and one will leach off the other until it fails. Hopefully, if I can make it through the winter, they will be sufficient during the warm months.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Looks like I may be buying a couple of these soon...

Die Hard Platinum

Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Good Lord!!!!! $210 for a automotive battery??!! Is the glass mat technology that important to you?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I would take it to the dealer and have them check for a parasitic draw some where before you spend the cash on batteries.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Maybe...I've heard really good things about the Die Hard Platinum batteries. I plan to do that Dave. I was hoping the local parts store could do the same.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Lately, on cold mornings when my truck hasn't been driven for a few days, I get a message on my info center that says "Check Brake System". The message flashes up on the screen for a fraction of a second, then goes away. I did some research on this, and it's a common problem when the batteries have a low charge level. Many people on other forums have said that they have taken their truck to the dealership for this issue, only to have the dealer run diagnostics, charge the batteries, and tell the owner that they could find no problems. Others have said that the dealer would replace one of the batteries, but not both batteries.

Today, when I went to start my truck, it wouldn't start. The truck had not been driven since last Saturday, so it had been sitting for six days. I hooked up my battery charger, and it showed a charge level of 11.6V, which is low. I'm going to do a fast charge on it, then leave it connected in maintenance mode for a few days. This is the first time I have ever used the battery charger on this truck.

I was wondering a couple things:

1. Do you guys with diesel trucks use any kind of battery maintainer to keep the charge level up during the winter?I've never really heard of anything like that, best advice I could give would be to drive the truck more frequently. My truck is driven 7 days a week so I really don't have this problem.

2. Would you recommend taking it to a local auto parts store to have them check the batteries, and if so, how can they check them individually? You can but I find the little electronic load testers they use to be inaccurate. You can test then individually by simply unbolting the battery cables. Your best bet is to have them load tested at a shop with a VAT40 or VAT45 load tester.

3. What is the best way to find out if there is a load on the batteries when the truck is turned off?If you have access to an ammeter: Pop the hood and and unplug the underhood light, Run the meter leads inline with the ground or power cable, you should see a reading of only a few amps. Let the truck sit for around 45 minutes setup like that, the idea is to allow all the trucks modules to power down and remove all load on the battery. Be sure not to disturb the truck while your waiting(opening the doors). After the 45 minutes the reading on the meter should be less then .5 amps, generally if its higher then that then you could possibly have a parasitic draw on the battery.

I know that with the dual battery setup. it is IMPERATIVE that both batteries be replaced at the same time, yet I have heard many people say that the dealer would only replace the one that had gone bad. I have heard that this is bad because the batteries will not be identical, and one will leach off the other until it fails. Hopefully, if I can make it through the winter, they will be sufficient during the warm months.
There is a another procedure to find the draw if you do have one.

Also IMO you can replace the batteries separately as long as they have the same CCA.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by FL4X4
There is a another procedure to find the draw if you do have one.
What is the other procedure to find the draw?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:37 PM

What is the other procedure to find the draw?
While the truck is in sleep mode and the ammeter is still connected you can start pulling fuses and watch the meter as you pull fuses one on at a time. If the reading drops then you've found the circuit causing the draw. You'll want to leave the door open if you do this because if you open the door while the truck is in sleep mode you'll wake up a couple modules and throw off your reading and have to wait again.

Also I would definitely disconnect any aftermarket wiring you have installed first to rule them out.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Also I would definitely disconnect any aftermarket wiring you have installed first to rule them out.
I'm pretty sure it's my aftermarket wiring that is causing any parasitic draw that may be present. Lights, winch, stereo, train horn...I'm sure that one of them is the cause, unless it's just a bad battery.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 PM

I'm pretty sure it's my aftermarket wiring that is causing any parasitic draw that may be present. Lights, winch, stereo, train horn...I'm sure that one of them is the cause, unless it's just a bad battery.
Then the question is why are they drawing power if they aren't in use? Thats assuming you have a draw somewhere. Could just be bad batteries lol

Are they the original motorcrafts?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Are they the original motorcrafts?
Yeah, they are the factory batteries. My 36-month bumper-to-bumper warranty expires next month. The truck was built in March '07, so the batteries are almost four years old. I am thinking about taking it to the dealer to let them test the batteries, but from what I have been told, they usually will find a way to keep from replacing them.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Well, I just went out to check the status of the batteries charging, and the charger is now at 73% after about 6 hours of charging. I noticed that there is a small round window on the top of the battery that is glowing RED. I checked the other battery, and it is also glowing RED. After looking online, it appears that a RED indicator on a Motorcraft battery means that the battery needs to be replaced. I may run up to my dealer to orrow to see if they will swap them out.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 PM
After reading further, it looks like a RED indicator does not necessarily mean that the battery is bad, but that it just needs to be recharged. I think I will swing by my dealer in the morning to see what they have to say.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 PM
What did yoru dealer say?

My son's '08 KR 6.4 is acting like it doesn't want to start. I would think the batteries would last longer than 2 years. He doesn't have 36,000 miles yet and wonder if the batteries may be covered under warranty.

I may have to drive it to the dealer myself as he will wait until the engine will not turn over before he will get motivated to check on it.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:44 AM

Yeah, they are the factory batteries. My 36-month bumper-to-bumper warranty expires next month. The truck was built in March '07, so the batteries are almost four years old. I am thinking about taking it to the dealer to let them test the batteries, but from what I have been told, they usually will find a way to keep from replacing them.
I'm surprised they lasted that long, you probably just need new batteries

Quick Reply: Battery too low to start truck this morning...