F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2002 7.3 superduty issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 7.3 superduty issue

My truck has been acting a little funcky lately. When its cold truck has no power runs fine after it warms up and starts easily. In addition truck dies at least once a day warm or cold when I takeing off from a stop. Truck has a fresh fuel filter and when its not dying seem to run nicely. Truck isn't throwing any codes I'm running an additive so I don't think fuel gelling is an issue. Injector maybe I no mechanic but am fairly capable when someone points me in the right direction. Any ideas?
Thanks,

Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Truck dieing could be a Camshaft Position Sensor goin' out. Easy to change, and ford has 'em for cheap now. Mine was even recalled for it, but I still carry a spare.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-10-2010, 09:04 AM
I've been down that road before and have replaced a couple myself. This is more like a stutter and die versus like somebody shut it off with a key dieing.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Air in fuel could be another answer. Any leaks?

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-11-2010, 01:16 AM
That is a good question. How would I go about testing an air in fuel leak? I can tell you I recently replaced the o-rings in the bowl drain valve because it was pouring fuel. I am pretty sure that went well but I'm no mechanic. I have been fixing my own stuff since I was a kid but my experience is limited to the problems I have come across. I have a spare CPS like anyone else that owns one of these trucks but I'm thinking no. The dying seems fuel related based on how the truck reacts to the pedal. Thought about filling the fuel bowl with sea foam to clean injectors I have read allot of guys swear by this any opinion. I'm not opposed to cleaning injectors by hand either lightning in a can sounds to good to be true. Your thought?
thanks,
canobeer6 / Steve

Old 12-11-2010, 09:53 AM
With the price of these injectors nothing but diesel fuel and stanodyne goes in the system. Continuing that thought only name brand ultra low sulfur road fuel goes in my 6.4L. I have my ole 6.2L to experiment fuels with.

First step that has always worked for me is at any line that leaks fuel out, air is getting in.

Also, whats the mileage on the truck? Hope your not coming up on injector life, as my friend just put 1800 in a new set for his half million mile rig.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-11-2010, 10:59 AM
This could be related to fuel, oil, or it could still be electrical.

As far as injectors go they are over $200 each and are not easily removed and cleaned from the truck. Unless you have had extensive experience handling them then you need to never touch them. These are not the old 6.9L injectors. Is there any fuel in the oil? It could be bad orings on the injectors or cracked cups. I doubt that this is really the issue.

I would suspect the hpop more. The orings may be going bad allowing oil to bypass the pump. With no oil there is nothing to drive the injectors which makes it look like a fuel issue.

It could be an electrical issue if the harness to the valve covers has started to work loose. This causes injectors to not fire.

To be honest you really need to get the truck into the dealer and have the do a scan and check the codes instead of all of us guessing. A good tech should be able to log the fuel flow on each injector and the hpop pressure and then see whats going on.

Quick Reply: 2002 7.3 superduty issue