F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Question

Please educate me, I have a 2000 f250 crew cab 2wd 7.3l diesel with LT265/75-16 all the way around, I am getting an alignment tommorrow because front left tire outer edge is gone, I found a great deal on craigslist for 2 tires LT285/75-16 I was thinking of buying these for the rear and moving the 265's to the front. Are there any concernsI should worry about doing this, will they fit with no rub, any adverse handling issues? I get confused with tire sizing but running a little wider on the rear I wouldn't think would be an issue, correct me if I am wrong. Ideally I would like to have the same size all the way around, but $$$$ is an issue for me right now and any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Since you're 2wd, you'll be fine doing that as long as you have same size tires on each axle.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Since the rear is higher than the front and the tires won’t be turning the 285's should be fine.

They are wider but they are also taller. The first number is the width in mm's and the second number is the aspect ratio of the width. So taking 75% of 265mm's will obliviously be less than 75% of 285mm's. That’s going from a 32x10.5 to a 33x11.5 tire in normal numbers.

Putting a taller tire on the rear will change your gear ratio so it will accelerate a little slower (basically nothing in this case) but will also let you run slightly lower RPM's on the freeway. This will throw off your odometer so be sure to account for that in MPG calculations and service intervals. It’s also probably a little heavier tire. It also means you can only rotate side to side instead of front to rear and side to side like you should.

SO all in all with this small of a tire size change it shouldn’t affect anything much at all.

Quick Reply: Tire Question