F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

1997 F250 7.3l PSD won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F250 7.3l PSD won't start.

Hello all,

My wife's truck won't start. This problem started about a month ago. She got in the truck and it would not start. You would hear the click of the solenoid, but no crank. Then I jumped in to try and she started right up no problems. Two weeks ago it did it again, so I tried to repeat the process of the "magical touch," no dice. I tried removing the starter and cleaning it with "electra-motive" cleaner the electric parts cleaner you can get from autozone. She started right up every time. This last week same thing again. You go to start, she clicks her solenoid, and no crank. I have two yellow top optimas in her. What do you all think it could be?

Respectfully,
Vycan

Old 01-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Bad starter solenoid. Also check the wires going to the starter.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Anyone happen to know the part number for this year model starter solenoid? Please note ford changed the design in 01.

-Vycan

Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Okay, so I tried replacing the starter solenoid, and it didn't help, it is still making the click of the solenoid engaging and no cranking. At this point we are down to the starter itself or the relay. any thoughts?

-Vycan

Old 01-06-2008, 04:21 PM
It ended up being a bad starter motor.

Funny thing is, the dead starter tested out fine with the autozone diagnostic center. So if you are having starter issues, take into account that the parts shop diagnostics tools are only "spin tests" and cannot accurately predict performance when there is resistance against the starter.

While I was there the second time, I asked the attendant to take a fresh one out of the box and test it. The fresh one would not even work in their machine. I then asked them if we could just use jumpers against one of their batteries on the shelf. The fresh one started right up. Apparently these starters draw so much power when they are functioning properly the Autozone diagnostic machine will not allow them to function for "safety" reasons. If they test properly there is something wrong. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

-Vycan

Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 PM
One of the other boards (fishing), I read has a stranded user that has a 96 F-250 Powerstroke. He is asking where the starter us located because he need to change it. Would you mind telling me and I'll link or relay the information.
Thanks!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 PM
The starter is located on the rear passenger side of the block back by the flywheel housing. You can't miss the stupid thing. If he has to ask where its located I don't know that he should really be allowed close to the truck with tools.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
The starter is located on the rear passenger side of the block back by the flywheel housing. You can't miss the stupid thing. If he has to ask where its located I don't know that he should really be allowed close to the truck with tools.
Thanks for the reply!
Sounds like he is stuck somewhere and I was just trying to help.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:39 PM
looking for the starter

Just a thought but if you cannot find the starter and you want to remove it, it may be a good idea to first ask where the battery is? Then you might be told there are 2 batteries under the hood in the front corner area, this is important because you would want to disconnect them.

On another note I have a 1996 F250 7.3 diesel, and my starter clicks so I click it back with a hammer and it works less and less so I bought a excel starter for $222 and will put it in tomorrow, I have not had any luck with autozone the parts they get are not the same as the local auto part store they seem/ are cheaper I went there for manual hubs and after going there 3 times for 3 different sets gave up, there good for oil I guess.

Quick Reply: 1997 F250 7.3l PSD won't start.