F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

an F550???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an F550???

The other day i was sitting at a stoplight and up pulls next to me a F550. This was the first time i have seen one of these in a normal truck style it just looked like a huge Kingranch F350. It was diesel of course but it was def. not a F350 with custom decals cause it was much longer, wider, and had a huge cab area. I tried to stay with him as we got on the highway i figured this could be a once in a lifetime opp. seeing one of these just driving around, but he got on that gas and blew me away it did appear to have extras you know the fancy gauges on the window bar an exaust system which just enhanced the turbo pretty much not a real difference from your normal diesel. Anyways im asking where do you get this truck whats the MSRP on one and what are the specs for it;horsepower, torque, towing...ect. If anyone knows anything aobut this or knows a site i could check one of these out on please let me know this was one bad a** truck.

Last edited by mattwerner; 11-05-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The F450s and F550s are the heavy duty trucks of the super duty lineup that share the same crew/ext/reg cabs like the F250s and F350s. The F650s and F750s have a different body style.

They have huge beefy frames, massive brakes, big ole axles, and ten lug wheels. When you buy one, it comes to the dealer in a chassis cab configuration and you need to send it to a upfitter to install flatbeds, workbodys, or a modified pickup bed for the guys that need an ego enhancement.

Same powerlineup and numbers as the F250/350s.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a big yeller one running around town here. I'll take some pictures next time I catch it with my camera.

Old 11-05-2005, 04:26 PM
There are thousands of F550s and F450s up here. Not really a rare sight at all. I think the biggest problem is they can't supply enough of them to keep up with demand. I think our dealer is only allowed 1 550 for every 10 350s. There are guys that wait 6 months or more for F550s.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I think he means an F550 with a truck box on it instead of a service body. I've been running my F550 service truck for the last month. It grosses about 12k without the trailer. With the trailer I grossed out at 26960 Overweight by a little bit, since I'm only apportioned for 26000. It really needs to have the heavy tow package on it to kick the GCWR up to 33000. On the F450 and F550 there is only 2 gear choices, 4.88 and 5.13. Also the 5.4L is not offered in them.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:40 PM
oh ok so its pretty much just a F350 with a little more body to it huh...so does it get the same kind of gas as a F350 or worse? The one i say looked almost like the harley davidson paint job i liked the truck overall there was just one major flaw with it and thats that it had a huge A&M sticker on the back but if you replaced it with a UT or Texas Tech sticker it would be a beyond amazing truck...keep in mind that im not talking about reg. ol' white F550 that you use for towing this one had luxury power and the off road look it was just an all around nice truck. Anyways ya try and take a pic if you see that one runnin around cause i havent seen that one yet.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:17 PM
What you saw was most likely a conversion of some sort. Probably done by Western Hauler or another similar company. If it had either a truck box or a fancy looking flatbed (5th wheel box) then its most definetly a conversion. A truck like that will easily to $50k, and can run upwards of $60k+ depending on options. Most of the haulers come fully loaded with very nice aftermarket seats, power everything, usually a fold down rear seat (bed), nice aluminum bed, etc. You're right though, it is basically a scaled up version of an F350. They are actually 8 lug axles, not 10 lug. The older 97 and older ones were 10lug. They are 8 on 210mm or so. They are 8 lug, but not the same pattern as an F250 or F350. The fronts are still D60 axles I believe, but the rear is a D120 or 125. Due to the deep gears and the fact that they're HEAVY suckers mileage sucks. Heck I get about 10mpg unloaded with mine. When I was pulling that 36' Macdon flex draper I was around 5-6mpg. I drove it from Greenville, MS to Rosenburg, TX last weekend. It took me over 80 gallons of diesel to get there. At 65mph I'm pusing 2500rpm, at 70 I'm over 2600rpm. Above 2000rpm the PSD makes most of its power, but it falls out of its fuel efficiency range. When I tow with my F250 I don't go over 70mph because of this. Towing with that I'm between 13-15mpg.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by mattwerner
there was just one major flaw with it and thats that it had a huge A&M sticker on the back but if you replaced it with a UT or Texas Tech sticker it would be a beyond amazing truck.
mattweiner

which one... or do you have degrees from both?

If it had a tt or tu sticker on back it wouldn't be a truck, probably more so of the cadillac escalade type

Old 11-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mattwerner
The other day i was sitting at a stoplight and up pulls next to me a F550. This was the first time i have seen one of these in a normal truck style it just looked like a huge Kingranch F350. It was diesel of course but it was def. not a F350 with custom decals cause it was much longer, wider, and had a huge cab area. I tried to stay with him as we got on the highway i figured this could be a once in a lifetime opp. seeing one of these just driving around, but he got on that gas and blew me away it did appear to have extras you know the fancy gauges on the window bar an exaust system which just enhanced the turbo pretty much not a real difference from your normal diesel. Anyways im asking where do you get this truck whats the MSRP on one and what are the specs for it;horsepower, torque, towing...ect. If anyone knows anything aobut this or knows a site i could check one of these out on please let me know this was one bad a** truck.

I have seen several F450's and 550's around town here and I think that they are huge. They would require a special body made just for that truck. The body, from the chassis frame forward is a super duty body with a beefier frame. I would think that you would pay a princely sum in order to own a vehicle like this. However, if you have the money, go for it. I think that it would be worth it.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Here in the Midwest we see semi tractors pulling a header that large. Truely amazing to see a F-550 doing the work that class 8 vehicles do. How wide is the header and what does it weigh?

Bless Henry Ford and the legacy he began. My grandfather and Henry were good friends. View my photo gallery of grandfather Ford dealership (approximately 1916, selling Model T's).

Old 11-24-2005, 11:44 PM
That is a 36' Macdon flex draper head. It weighs in the neighborhood of 8000lb alone. The trailer is no slouch itself. I weighed the rig the other day and with an extra 400lb of steel in the bed and me in the truck, the whole thing came out to 27,140. Not exactly legal as its only apportioned for 26k. Its gotta go on a diet before I hit the road with it in 2 weeks.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Old 11-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by gearmanx17
Here in the Midwest we see semi tractors pulling a header that large. Truely amazing to see a F-550 doing the work that class 8 vehicles do. How wide is the header and what does it weigh?

Bless Henry Ford and the legacy he began. My grandfather and Henry were good friends. View my photo gallery of grandfather Ford dealership (approximately 1916, selling Model T's).
What the heck is a header?

Old 11-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Look what is sitting on my trailer. Its kinda hard to miss. A header is what you put on the front of a combine when you're harvesting grain. Something like a corn head, or grain head (like mine). If you still don't know it means then get out of the city.

Old 11-27-2005, 06:14 PM
thanks for the Pics GunR i sure do love the 650 and up conversions, im surprised you dont see more of the professional athlete type driving those things, i know i would be

Quick Reply: an F550???