F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel maintenance?

What is normal maintenance on a 7.3 PSD, and what are the normal intervals between maintenance?

Old 04-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Pretty simple actually. Change oil every 5000 miles.

quick directions
All I do is take a 3-1/2 gal bucket (get a lid for it), set it under the oil filter and drain plug - no need for ramps. Punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and let drain into the bucket - at the same time remove drain plug. Both will drain right into the bucket. While this is going on, get a 4-5 ft hose and insert it over the 'water in fuel' outlet. This is just water taken out of the fuel by the fuel filter. I drain that into the oil bucket. There is usually about 1/2 pint that drains out. Then I check the coolant with test strips and add coolant stuff if the numbers don't add up - very easy. Then I take the new filter and start filling it with new rotella 15w40. After all this, I put the drain plug back and remove the old oil filter. Then I put the new filter on. Then fill the new 15 qts of oil back into the engine. - then I rotate the tires

After 15000 miles, I change fuel filter, grease all ball joints

After 40000 miles, I change coolant - very easy, just get the engine hot and then drain out coolant at bottom of main radiator. Fill with distilled water - you have to use distilled water to prevent cavitation. then drive for 5-10 miles. Then drain agian and fill with distilled water. You will need to do this about 5-6 times untill the water is clear. Then drain for the last time and fill with 2 gallons of the fleatguard coolant and tap off with distilled water. But the next time I change my coolant, I am using the gold stuff and never have to mess with it again - Ford has approved the gold for my late 99 finally.

After 60000, I change the manual tranny and transfer case fluid - use the mobile 1 synth.

After 50000, I clean my intake filter - I have the airforce 1 intake

And that is about all there is too the maintenance part. Check all other fluids and stuff like you normaly would.

Hope this helps

runnert

Old 04-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Thanks, I was just wondering, I really need a diesel and everybody kept telling me how much more I would have to work on it than a gas motor.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Do you think that's a lot of work? No spark plugs to mess with; More power than anything out there (pretty much); I have had my share of gassers. I even had a new 2000 F150. This diesel has been by far easier to maintain. I would get a diesel even if I didn't need the power. I was really hoping that Ford would put the diesel in the new F150. I would have considered getting one of them (in addition to my SD) in a couple of years.

runnert

Old 04-13-2004, 08:29 PM
No, and I WILL have a diesel, I have test drove a few of them, and even though I don't need the power, I MUST have one! The PSD is awesome!

Old 04-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi,

I just bought a diesel this week with 60K on it.

I know the dealership changed the oil and filter, but what should I do right away with the cycle that was written above.

Also, where do I find the "water in fuel" outlet?

What is rotella? Is that a brand name?

You're talking a lot of distilled water. Do you just buy several gallon jugs of the stuff? What is the "gold stuff"

Thanks

Old 04-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by rockwoodchev
Hi,

I just bought a diesel this week with 60K on it.

I know the dealership changed the oil and filter, but what should I do right away with the cycle that was written above.

Also, where do I find the "water in fuel" outlet?

What is rotella? Is that a brand name?

You're talking a lot of distilled water. Do you just buy several gallon jugs of the stuff? What is the "gold stuff"

Thanks
If the oil is clean, then let it go for 5000 miles and change as normal.

The 'water in fuel' outlet is a little hard to explain. The lever is behind the fuel filter and should be yellow. You can only turn it 90º. The outlet where the water/fuel comes out is even tougher to explain. I will try to take a picture. But the drain tube is in the front left of the engine and it is about a 1/4 diameter tube. The best thing to do if you need to do it now, is put a large diameter catch under the engine, have someone else open the drain and you lay under the engine and look up to the front left of the engine.

Rotella is a shell brand oil that is recommended. It is a 15w-40 oil (not synthetic). You can get it almost anywhere, but I usually get it at Walmart.

Yes, it is a lot of distilled water. You will need about 20-22 gallons to do it right. As far as 'gold' coolant, go here

there is much more info than you can ever consume over at 'thedieselstop.com'.

hope all this helps.

Quick Reply: Diesel maintenance?