Expedition / Navigator

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust Question

I recently purchased a 99 Expy. I am trying to find out which is the best exhaust for it. I am looking for something with a nice sound and good looks. Borla is too expensive, what would be a more reasonable purchase that sounds good and looks nice? Any opinions on side or rear exit? I am new to the Expeditons, but am a long time Mustang fanatic (had to give up my 96 GT for the Expy). Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-2002, 03:34 PM
go to the flowmaster site www.flowmastermufflers.com they have some good selections and samples for you to listen to. i don't have an exhaust system on mine. i dont think flowmasters sells kits. they just sell mufflers. still sound good. not sure how restrictive they are though. hope this helps

Old 02-03-2002, 07:46 PM
Cool Gibson Cat Back

Lite- Welcome to the site!

I was seriously looking into exhaust recently, and it seems that bang for the buck Gibson takes the cake...FamilyRide here has one, and actually has some sound files from it...I guess they are easy to install, and sound pretty good, although not very loud, from what I hear.

Also, apparently duals are a problem b/c of spare tire placement, although, I have seen a Navigator with them, and asked the guy about it, and it was done at a local shop...

Hope that helps,

T

Old 02-03-2002, 08:41 PM
i have the magnaflow on mine.

send me an email at 00gator@midsouth.rr.com

i can send you a sound clip of it.

i love the sound it puts out.

it is not TOO loud.

anyone else who wants to hear it just send me an email.

Old 02-03-2002, 10:03 PM
Exhaust

I put the Gibson Swept Side on my wifes X last weekend and have been happy with it. The wife even likes it. Installation was easy, took about an hour. Could have got it done quicker but the tail pipe stuck and I was not able to move the muffler into postion so I had to pull it out from under the truck and reinstall. I had heard horror stories about how the stock exhaust is very difficult to remove, so I had the air chisel ready. But some rust eater and it came off very easily. The "butt" dyno seemed to notice an improvement in performance as well.

If you want a good deal call Scog and ****ey at 1-800-456-0211. Best deal that I could find, and I did a lot of shopping.

Old 02-03-2002, 11:30 PM
One more vote fo the Gibson Swept Side here.

The recordings can be found from the link in my sig. I always have to quality that the one by the tail pipe sounds louder than it really is in my opinion. And after a few months it actualy started sounding a little louder but it's just right!! When I first cranked it up in the garage to pull out, I couldn't tell a different. I had to stop and sit for a minute outside and then realized it just sounded like an old big block. Nice quiet rumble. If you want loud, this isn't it. If you want good sound and claimed performance increase for towing, this is it!

Mike Troyer (Superchip_Distributer) in the computer chip forum can tell you more about exhaust as well. I think he's found somehting he likes a little better than Gibson now and sells it too.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:17 AM
I have a flowmaster 50 series (SUV Application) with a custom dual side sweep exit system. I paid a mere $260 for the install with parts, in Palmdale CA. I am more than pleased with it. The sound is aggressive enough that it's not annoying, so I sound like a panther and not like a lion. Also coupled with the K&N drop in filter the gas milage is a lot better. I'll be looking into an intake system very soon.
Good Luck!

Old 02-04-2002, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like the best bets are between a Gibson and a Flowmaster. That definatly narrows it down. Being new to the SUV's I sure appreciate everyone's help. I am sure that I will be back with more questions. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:03 PM
i was told that flowmaster is more for sound and is the most restrictive exhaust, because it is mainly for sound.

i am not trying to rip on anyone here with flowmasters.

i was told if you want performance go with magnaflow.
i was told that magnaflow is the most free flowing exhaust you can get.

this was told to me by a 40-50 year old 2001 lightning owner who is in the exhaust business.

Old 02-05-2002, 08:42 AM
Get the Gibson Single side swept. That is my vote. Sound pretty good and no resonation inside the truck.

Old 02-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Here, here!

Another vote for the Gibson Sweptside. First, I replaced the OEM with a Jardine catback. With the Jardine, I lost too much low-end torque and had a interior drone at 2000 rpms.

Then, replaced the Jardine with the Gibson. What a difference...no low-end loss and no drone. It sounds great and offers a nice kick to the performance.

You won't go wrong purchasing the Gibson. Good luck with your mod.

Old 02-05-2002, 11:41 PM
That's right, the 5.4 drones at about 2000-2200 rpm. That's about the open highway speed. I tried a Magnaflow flow through muffler and it was a little to loud on the highway. It sounds good other wise. I even tried there SUV version but that was too quiet. I settled with a Dynomax super turbo. Even though I did internally break my first Dynomax towing a boat. I even tried a 50 series delta flow and it droned to much for me. Too bad you don't live over here cause I'd let you try out the Magnaflow's I still have.

Old 02-07-2002, 10:47 PM
Go with the Force II Flowmaster. I love mine. At 70-75mph, you wouldn't know it was there. Absolutely zero drone in the cab. Throaty when you floor it, subtle when you don't. Nice midrange torque increase.

Old 02-08-2002, 02:35 PM
Flowmasters!!!!

If you had a mustang and you liked the sound then go with flows. I put flows with duals and it sounds mean. My friend’s girlfriend has a 96 Mustang GT with just the flowmaster muffler and stock piping from muffler back. Mine sounds like the big dogg all I hear from her is motor :o(

I think I have 3 in piping with 3 1/4 chrome tips coming out the back and it looks and sounds great.

Old 02-08-2002, 03:06 PM
exhuast

Welcome to site.

Almost everyone has Gibson. If you want to be different and want real performance go with B&B. It little more but its worth it. T-304 stainless steel same as the Borla. Check out there website
www.bbexhaust.com. Also shop around for prices.

This is going to be my next exhaust. As soon as my old gets ruined.
I have a Vortex Cherry Bomb not much of performance gains. Maybe a little,but it is loud very loud. It sounds like a mustang on steroids.
I set off many car alarms and turn many heads. I had a local
shop do a custom job with dual rear exit with 22inch chrome oval tips. look very mean and different.

Also check out Bassini

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question