Expedition / Navigator

Hoping to get 2 more years out of my Expedition (preventive maintenance question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoping to get 2 more years out of my Expedition (preventive maintenance question)

Howdy -

This is my first post here after spending sometime reading through the various posts.

So, I have a 1997 Expedition with 210,000 miles and I am wanting to put a little TLC into my truck so I can get another 2 years out of her. I would like to seek everyone's opinion on where to spend my hard earned cash to 1) improve the reliability of my truck, 2) improve the life of her, and 3) improve the comfort (in that order).

Extra info:
Eddie Bauer 4x4 edition
Air suspension
5.4 liter Triton V-8
Lives in Colorado Rockies
30 miles per day commute
Light offroad weekend warrior
Replaced the starter 2 years ago
New front rotors and brake pads
New BFG KO2 tires

Where do I start to achieve my goals above?

Do I put money into the engine? Replace all the ball joints? Transmission? Ignition?

Obviously I can spend all sorts of money fixing one area only to have a fatal problem arise in 6 months with a truck this old. I am trying to be practical with my car and spend my limited funds in the best manor possible.

I already had to replace the compressor in the air suspension a couple of years ago... this set me back over a grand and, in order to achieve a more reliable vehicle, I am thinking of converting the suspension to replace the LLS system (I am leaning towards the Strutmasters kit). I am also hoping that this will increase my comfort although I have been told that new shocks can get some getting used to.

I also get a high-pitched whine every now and then from the engine compartment. It sounds "gear like". I am not sure what this is and have yet to take it into a shop to diagnose it (it makes the noise every now and then and usually lasts for about 30 - 120 seconds or so).

My "check suspension" light comes on from time to time (after a couple of hours on the highway, after brief off-roading, or when driving in AWD in the snow for a bit). I took her into a shop to diagnose but they were unable to as the light was not on when I brought her into the shop.

I also had a check engine light pop on (this time it stayed on when I brought her into the shop) and it was because the engine was running too lean. The shop replaced some vacuum hoses and I definitely saw an increase in power on the highway as a result.

I am relatively handy (I replaced the rotors and brake pads and will do the suspension work myself) but I'm not very good at diagnosing certain problems.

Anyway, thanks for listening and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

p.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
If you're at 200k you're well past the original service life of the front end components

Overall how does the transmission feel? You know if you have 4R100 or 4R70W? How does the fluid look, feel, and smell?

How many more miles would you anticipate driving in the next 2 years? My math of 30x5x52x2 =15600

Old 10-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the reply.

My transmission seems to be good. I am not sure which transmission I have though off the top of my head. I have the option on my shifter to turn off overdrive... that indicates that I have the 4R70W, correct?

While my daily commute is about 30 miles, I do go on road trips in the mountains fairly often and put on about 12,000 per year. That said, I'd like to get about 25K more miles out of her.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:03 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Look at the door jamb sticker - if the TRANS code is "E", that's a E4OD. If it's "U", it's a 4R70W. Both have the OD button in the shifter, and the E4OD is heavier duty. With a 5.4, it's probably a E4OD.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:15 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on the Strutmaster's conversion kit? I have heard okay reviews and that there are other, less expensive options out there but those can be lesser quality than the Strutmaster's. Do I really need to replace the springs? From my understanding the LLS's airbags in the rear act as springs, so I will need to get new springs for the rear if I remove the LLS system.

Thanks.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:21 PM
Do or have you changed the gear oil in the axles, trans fluid, coolant? All of those get neglected (I'm guilty of it myself). How about plugs and boots? If your coils are fine you shouldn't need to replace them. Fuel and trans filters?

As for front end components, I agree, with that many miles they're probably worn, if you're not comfortable checking them yourself, maybe having it inspected by a shop you trust. They can let you know what needs replacing and what will last a while longer.

I'm not familiar with the LLS or strutmasters so I can't offer any thoughts, other than choosing a brand that has a good reputation or is recommended by someone you trust.

Good luck

Old 10-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I would suggest you service it on schedule, get the front suspension inspected to see what is worn out and needs replacement. Run to failure. You could do things like replace the alternator, water pump, fuel pump, etc but if you are not taking any long trips with it, I wouldn't do that either unless they fail. The squealing under the hood could be the belt tensioner pulley or some such.

I used to have a Mark VIII with air bag suspension. 97 to 2006 The forum members used strutmaster conversion kits as i remember.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
The OD off indicator does not necessarily indicate anything

Old 10-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure the 97 expedition is pretty bullet proof, I wouldn't change things out just because their used. all the moving parts on your vehicle were designed to move.

I'd just check out the steering and replace the worn parts.
the air Suspension is the most unreliable thing on the truck and with that many miles I'd definately look them over good.
change the diff oils and keep the engine oil changed regular.

my son has a 03 f150 with 325000 miles on it, we have service records for it going back to 2007, I don't think there is more than $1000 worth of parts reciepts
although he did pay $1000 to get the rockers replaced.

you know your truck better than anybody
I can almost guarantee you won't replace the next thing that will fail.

Quick Reply: Hoping to get 2 more years out of my Expedition (preventive maintenance question)