Expedition / Navigator

Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake System

Has anyone put an intake system into their Expy? I here that it is'nt that hard of a job, and all a person needs in a screwdriver and a little patience. Let me know of any and all differences in power and air flow. (I already have a K& N airfilter, can it still be used?)

Black 98 Expedition

Pioneer Audio System
12 disc Changer
PPI Equalizer
PPI 4 channel Amp
Pioneer 2 Channel Amp
PPI Subwoofer
Rear Passenger Limo Tint
K&N Air filter
Flowmaster Exhaust w/ Dual side exits
Front Clear corners w/ super white bulbs
Super White headlights

Old 09-12-2001, 10:26 PM
It's very simple. Less than one hour.

If you have the K&N drop in, it won't work. The FIPK's come with a filter. It's a large conical filter.

Old 09-13-2001, 12:33 PM
Its real easy, makes more noise under full throttle

The power change is slight, gas milage went up about 1/2mpg

Old 09-15-2001, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 98 Expedition,

There are a number of Expedition owners who have done that, and for the most part, the Expeditions use the same kits that work on the F-150's with 4.6's & 5.4's.

There are a number of differrent airbox elimination kits, the K&N FIPK kit, the Airaid, and numerous others. The one we like best is the Air Force One. It is made of primarily T-304 stainless steel, and is highly polished, very attractive under the hood. It's power gains are also slightly superior to the other kits, though it's not a big difference. For the 4.6 motor for example, where the K&N FIPK & the Airaid kits both make a respectable 12 hp, the Air Force One makes right at 15 hp, and a similar small difference for the 5.4's. The Air Force One unit makes better use of the fenderwell air inlet, placing it's filter unit very close to that opening and then you use the original fenderwell boot to connect to it if you want. With the K&N FIPK or the Airaid their filter placement is further away from that air inlet.

It's hard to go wrong with just about any of these kits, the K&N FIPK has been around for years, it's a good kit, the Airaid kit we like a bit better as it has a more stable mount for the MAF, but all in all, it's hard to go wrong with any of those 3, K&N's FIPK, the Airaid, or our favorite, the Air Force One.

You cannot re-use that drop-in K&N air filter that fits in the factory airbox with any of these airbox elimination kits; however, any of those kits will already come with it's own special filter. You can either keep or perhaps sell that existing K&N drop-in filter.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

Old 09-18-2001, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Airaid

I changed my stock intake to an Airaid, which comes with a K&N filter. It looks terrific and makes a nice noise at full throttle. Only a slight improvement with gas mileage. But, coupled with Superchip and a Gibson catback, the intake delivers between 2500 and 4000 rpm.

It's very easy to install...will take most folks 3-60 minutes. Good luck with your selection.

Quick Reply: Intake System