Expedition / Navigator

99 Expo EB Build.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Expo EB Build.

I've owned this truck since new but for the last 4 years it has been sitting in the corner of my shop collecting dust due to an accident. Well I finally decided since we were in between projects that the time was right to dust it off and start the build.

Basically we are going to completely restore the truck outside and inside. Plans call for completely rebuild the suspension and adding a lowering kit, a new set of 22's or 24's, Shaved gate and roof rack, custom pearl white paint, custom interior, custom audio, exhaust, brakes, etc. The truck is going to serve as a daily driver / shop show truck. I plan to add more photos of the build as we go along. The first step in the process has been to get the truck prepped and painted. Here are some photos from that process. Next up will be to pull the dash in order to change the color to the new Escalade interior color we are doing.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

sounds like a good build.

ill be watching

Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Wow awsome, but if i was u i would remove the antenna from the fender and mount it on the window like the 2000+ expo for a more flush look!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by 5.4T
Wow awsome, but if i was u i would remove the antenna from the fender and mount it on the window like the 2000+ expo for a more flush look!
That was a before photo, we already shaved the antenna and the roof rack.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Ok...I'm kind of torn....while I like the look of the 99 front end I also like to be some what different. I've been toying with the idea of using an 03 nose on the truck along with a custom hood that I built but I can't decide. This truck was suppose to be more custom but my wife wanted me to tame it down a bit, hence the single color pearl paint job. Whats your opinions?

If I go ahead and use the 03 nose then I plan to use the Stillen lower bumper cover and attach it to the upper oem cover.
Here is the 03 front end bolted on with the custom hood. If I go this route I would also make a custom grille to go along with it.

Stillen cover

Last edited by 402 Motoring; 07-17-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 AM
The 03 nose bolted right up??? How much work went into putting it on there?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:00 PM
There are some minor tweaks and you do have to rework the fenders but its not bad overall. The expense is probably the worst part of it. For me anyways.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Are you doing a complete Escalade interior?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
Are you doing a complete Escalade interior?
I'm doing an Escalade color, a very light beige (almost white). We're going to be pulling the dash to repaint that and we'll either leather wrap the other interior plastic panels or paint them the same color as the dash. The headliner will be done in the Escalade material and the rug will either be from a Navigator or I'll have it custom made to go with the color scheme I'm going with. I was going to have Katzkin sew the seats but they only have a pattern for a cloth interior truck. I don't know why its that different from the leather seat equipped Expos but they don't know either and I don't want to take the chance. I'll probably just spend the extra money and have my interior guy sew them. I'm only going to do 2 rows since I'm going to be running audio in the rear anyways. I was thinking of running Navigator seats in the rear and then build a custom console to go from the front to the back but if I keep adding things to the mod list this truck will never see the road. LOL.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Progress has been a little slow since its our busy season, but last night I pulled the dash in order to get it refinished with the new Escalade color we're changing it to. Also I made the mold for a removable panel that will vent fresh air under the custom hood I'm making. That panel should be done by tomorrow and then I'll post photos of the finished hood.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 PM
are you doing the color swap and stuff? it would look nice if all the plastic was leather rapped can wait to see it finished

* you should but the wide console like 2000 and up i wish i could swap mine but it has the air vents :\

Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 AM
I hadn't given much thought to the 2000 console. I do plan to wrap new leather over the door panels after we build the audio pods for them. I'm undecided whether or not to wrap the b pillars panels and such. I am kicking around the idea of getting rid of the Expo rear seats and putting in 4 captain seats or even seats from a Harley truck and then building a custom console front to the rear sub enclosure we're building. This truck is basically going to be a daily driver / show / shop truck so I don't want to make it to much over the top. Just something that will look nice sitting in front of the shop and that I'm not afraid to drive. I plan to get the dash done today or tomorrow then we're going to install a new heater core while the dash is out on Saturday. By then I should have the hood all wrapped up and then the plan is to remove most of the engine compartment components so I can get that all refinished. More photos later.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow...awesome work so far, and cool idea.

be interested to see it when complete. wish I had the time/space to do a similar project.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Here are a few more photos of where I'm at. Friday I painted the dash and other related parts so we could get it installed on Saturday. While we were at it we install a new heater core just to play it safe. Everything is now back in and looking pretty cool. I ended up not going with the Escalade interior color, but I used a Ford color. My next step with the build is to finish the underhood panel I made the other day and get the engine compartment painted. The balance of the truck should be painted by the end of next week.

Dash recolor pics.

Quick Reply: 99 Expo EB Build.