Expedition / Navigator

Audio/Video Setup Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Audio/Video Setup Installed

Finally got all of my stuff in and installed. Kind of a PITA though.

Parts:overall, pretty happy with the setup. The headunit sounds way better than the stock radio...and the iPod/iPhone functionality is wicked. I also love the Bluetooth function. My only real complaint is that you cannot put custom background screens.

The Headrests are surprisingly of decent quality. They function as DVD Players...or you can use them as a monitor (see pictures below). The only complaint I have is that they are smaller than the OEM units. The zipper cover is nice also. It looks completely factory when zipped up. Might be a good theft deterrant if they don't know it's there

Wiring wise...Ford engineers should be shot with that retarded setup. Ford utilizes a 10 minute battery saver circuit that the radio is tied into. That means they don't have any 12 volt keyed sources as part of the radio harness. It took some creative wiring, but I finally got it done. Not quite happy with it, but I'm working 12 hour shifts until I deploy...so I'll fix it properly when I get back.
btw, I did bypass the e-brake video lock. Extremely simple. If the wire has a 12 volt source (brake off) the video won't play. if the wire is grounded (brake on) the video plays.

I have no intentions of using this capability while driving...but it'll be nice for when the kids are watching and my wife can see what she is doing. before we had to have the 6yr old describe what was happening on the screen and play the guessing game...not an issue now

Here are some pictures.

Headunit:

Headrests:

All Three:
Misc Install Pics:

Old 02-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow dude good job! i love the way every thing looks clean and i love the way the dvd covers up on the head rest

Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Looks great! I learned that lesson about the "extra stuff" required to install, buy from crutchfield and they give you the mounting bracket and wiring harness free (for most cars). I love the way those headrest monitors can "cover up" when i have ppl riding in the back at night the screens usually blind them and they have to "find" the power button to turn them off but those you can just zip up. About the power problem pac makes a harness that will fix it,the harness is a little pricey though. From the pic the headrests seem to match up i cant tell the difference.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the headrests seem to match pretty darn well IMO. they are just smaller...which is really noticeable to the person sitting in the seat. my head sits about 3" farther back vice the OEM headrests.

apparently my Limited has a Subwoofer in the rear trunklid...or so I've been told. So now I need to pull a few panels off and find it...if so, I have to buy that last wiring harness to get it some power

Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Looking good. Can each screen play its seperate media??

Quick Reply: Audio/Video Setup Installed