Expedition / Navigator

Out of the F250, Into an Expy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I emailed edge with no response yet.

I liked the Expedition quite a bit...it's definitely on the top of my list.

Pretty good condition, the leather still felt new. The wife, who is a huge GM fan, likes the interior of the Expedition over the Yukon and the Suburban.

Did Ford fix the broken spark plug issue for the '06 motors? There's 88K on the clock and the plugs have not been changed yet, but will need it fairly soon.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 AM
is that the one you bought ?? i like the color !!

btw guys today i got my expy limited headlights and installed them

Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 AM
I didn't buy it yet...I am trying to hold out for an EL model that is in my price range. It was very hard to leave w/o it, but I'm going to give it a couple of more weeks to see if an EL model shows up.

What's the difference with the limited headlights?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that is a very nice looking Expy

the 07+ Expy Limited has black headlights. All the other versions (XLT, EB, KR) only have chrome plain lenses...I like the black better. Flows more IMO.

and no, unfortunately, the spark plug issue wasn't corrected until 2008 models. You have to look at the build date of the motor. After 11/2007 the motor should have new heads that correct the issue.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
Anyone know if my Edge Evolution from my F150 will work in the Expy?
straight from the edge website

"Note: Even though the following vehicles have an engine type that the Evolution would otherwise support, due to calibration issues on the PCM, it will NOT work on: Heritages, Lincoln Mark LTs, Explorers, Expeditions, or Excursions."

Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I love the all black...reminds me of my truck. I'd take a black Expy if I could find one that meets my needs. I REALLY want the EL body...

The wife liked these, until she saw what the interior looked like:

I hate the fact that my uncertainty will remain with the spark plug issue unless I get an '08 model. I know it's a crap shoot, but I hate gambling.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:38 PM

like I said, if you buy it off a Dealership lot, have them do the plug change. A $300-400 charge on the deal is well worth it IMO.

that way, if they break the plugs...it is their problem. Don't take delivery until the plugs are done BTW. otherwise they might try to stick you with the repair bill if they do the plugs after you own it.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:12 PM
The thing with the plug change is, if they break a plug, it's YOUR wallet that gets hit. The estimate they show before you sign off to have the work done explains all of the potential problems and the cost for each. I thought about getting the plugs done in my truck to hopefully avoid any problems down the road...I saw the "waiver" and decided against it.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 PM

The thing with the plug change is, if they break a plug, it's YOUR wallet that gets hit. The estimate they show before you sign off to have the work done explains all of the potential problems and the cost for each. I thought about getting the plugs done in my truck to hopefully avoid any problems down the road...I saw the "waiver" and decided against it.
that is why I am saying to get the work done prior to taking delivery. They do the work...and if a problem exists...their problem.

They try to stick you with the bill...well you haven't taken delivery, so walk away.

Easy, simple, Safe.

Just set up the purchase agreement, have the financing set. Then have them do the work. Once plug change is done, you come in, sign the final signature and drive away happy.
I think allowing them $300-400 for a Plug Change in the purchase contract would be fair. That way they know you are serious.
they could do the work that same day and have you come back for Delivery the next day.

but only do the deal if they do the plugs prior to change. Dealerships are hurting. This isn't a big thing to ask for IMO.

Having a purchase order that is 99% complete, awaiting just that final signature is a very very powerful incentive to them. Especially if you throw in that $300-400. So it's no real sweat off their back if it goes off seamlessly.
under no circumstances would I do it after delivery...unless you had some verbage like this added to the Work Order that they always have you sign. It has the weight of law...a binding contract that they are legally obligated to fulfill.

"Dealership agrees to change spark plugs. Dealership will cover any and all costs associated with changing the spark plugs. Owner will incur no cost."

edit: I hit submit and then realized you were talking about a current vehicle you already own. Sorry

Old 09-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I would SERIOUSLY consider buying that Expy tomorrow if the popped for the plug change/fix. That honestly worries me.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:23 AM

DO IT

these are awesome vehicles. I wish I had gone straight to one in 2001 when I started my little SUV craze.

to date I've had the following...and I really really wish I had skipped the whole mess of them. Expedition is King of the SUV's...now that the Excursion is gone of course

1. 1998 Isuzu Rodeo
2. 1993 Bronco
3. 2000 Toyota 4Runner
4. 2005 Kia Sorento
5. 2005 Mitsu Endeavor
6. 2005 Dodge Durango
7. 2008 Expedition

Old 09-05-2009, 11:33 AM
yup like Tylus said DO IT

my first SUV was a new 2002 Expedition XLT w/5.4 I was considering getting a Tahoe.. but what really turned me off about them was the rear dears were so small. Then when the 03s came out i fell in love with the new styles. So then in 05 I couldn't resist and bought a new fully loaded Eddie Bauer, best decision I ever made.

I bet my truck is equipped the same as that one. Let me tell one of the best things about the Expys unlike any of the big SUVs out there is that they have fold flat 3rd row seats.

I've been wanting to pick a used 07/08 or maybe 09 Limited but times are tough now and I can't be buying new (or used) cars like I use too.

Anyways back to the topic, if everything works out with the spark plug deal, I would pull the trigger.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I really like the fold flat rear seats, huge selling point over other SUV's. I like the '07's changes with the different rear DVD entertainment center and the headlights are much better looking. They have an '07 on the lot at the same dealer, but they're asking $37K for ir with 30K miles which seems a bit high to me. I didn't spend much time with it because I can't afford it, but it is a sweet vehicle.

The one thing that worries me about having an SUV instead of a truck is carrying stuff like drywall and plywood, 4x8 sheets like that.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:47 PM

The one thing that worries me about having an SUV instead of a truck is carrying stuff like drywall and plywood, 4x8 sheets like that.
when i had the roof rack on i would strap it on there, or you could open the rear window fold all the seats down except for the front two, and have them stick out of the rear window a little bit, I've done it a couple times with the hazard lights on and haven't had a problem

Old 09-06-2009, 01:31 AM
So, a 4x8 sheet of plywood will fit sideways but will stick out the back a little bit with both sets of rear seats folded? I won't carry stuff like that a lot, but there are times where I will need to do so.

Quick Reply: Out of the F250, Into an Expy!