Expedition / Navigator

98 expedtion xlt 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 expedtion xlt 4x4

i recently traded vehicles to get 4x4. It has some 18x8" billet wheels now with some trail t/a's. I would like to put at least some 33's on it, or maybe some 35's. Has anybody put the leveling kit on their's? I have seen that superlift makes a 2.5" leveling kit that says it will clear 33's, do I have to put anything in the back? thanks

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't need a leveling kit. Just crank up your torsion bars and get an alignment. You can easily fit 33x12.50's at stock height. If the wheel is 10 inches wide or has a shallow backspacing you may have to trim some plastic off the front bumper's lower valance.
They make leveling kits for your Expy, but they are just reindexed torsion bar adjustment keys. These do the same thing as cranking up the torsion bar preload with the oem keys. They just allow you to crank way, way too much preload onto the torsion bars which will lead to premature wear on steering and suspension components and destroy your ride quality.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM
I have 285/75R16's on aftermarket rims on my Expy. I didn't crank the torsion bars, but I had to trim the airdam so it wouldn't rub. Had I installed them on the stock rims, I'm sure I wouldn't have had to do any trimming.

I'm almost certain you'll have to trim with those aftermarket wheels if you go bigger.

As for the back, I don't like how the rear wheel opening looks compared to the front (looks like it is squatting). I might do a spacer when I decide on getting new shocks (gonna need longer shocks in the rear for spacer).

Old 09-24-2008, 03:50 AM
thanks wandell, just what i have been searching for. I will post up some pics when i get them installed. may be a week or so, as i am finishing up some painting and fiberglassing on interior first

Quick Reply: 98 expedtion xlt 4x4