Expedition / Navigator

Need advise on exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advise on exhaust.

I am new to the forum and looking for some help with exhaust info. I just picked up a 05 King Ranch and was looking at replacing the factory muffler with a 3in magnaflow. I have searched for the last couple days and really could not find a definate answer on interior volume level when it comes to the magnaflow. I have dynomax ultra flo welded mufflers on my mustang and a flowmaster super 40 on my durango so I know how they are and both are too loud inside for the expedition as we usually take it north to NJ to visit the in-laws and that is a 10hr ride and I dont want to deal with too much interior resonance for that long. I am just looking at replacing the muffler and keeping the stock pipes so what would I need for an offset? I was thinking offset/center and should I go with 2.5in and have the exhaust shop expand it a little or go with a 3in and neck it down a little? Thanks in advance!!!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Don't have a King Ranch, but I have been wanting to go the "muffler-only" route.

From what I understand, 14 in will be loud, 18 in will have a nice growl, and anything bigger should be quiet enough. Again, this is from what I have read/understand.

If this doesn't get enough hits, you might want to move it over to the exhaust sub-forum.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 PM
i have the complete catback from magnaflow. sounds good. not nearly as loud as flowmasters. i will try to take a sound clip and post it. may be a little louder due to other mods in my sig, but should be pretty close to what you want. maganflows website also has a few soundclips of this system....i viewed them before i made my purchase.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:45 AM
I've heard performance wise, the Magnaflow is the way to go.

I like the sound of Flowmaster the best.

Pretty sure JBA, Gibson, and Dynamax also make great products.

I'd stay away from anything you've never heard of (brand wise).

Other than that you should be good.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Sup 2L8ULUZ2,

I am running the flowmaster 70 series with just the right interior resonance that is tolerable and still have the typical flowmaster sound, albeit, it is much quieter than I would wish it would be. Unfortuantely with the large interior cabin, the droning levels gets irritating on long drives.

I had initally purchased the 50 series, but my daughters started complaining that their ears were hurting after a 20 minute non-stop ride on the freeway. In the front was not ro bad, but if you ar esitting in the 2nd and 3rd seats, the resonance is much louder. After the 2nd day, I returned the series 50 and had the 70 installed, and my family has not complained since.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I put an 18" 5x8 offset in/center out on my 03. The pipe between the cat and the muffler is only 2.5", so I went with a 2.5 muffler.

It's barely noticeible at freeway speeds but it is noticible, It gets more noticible when I'm pulling my 5000# car hauler at freeway speeds. But it's not too loud that I can't talk on the cell or other people in the car.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Chuck98GT
I put an 18" 5x8 offset in/center out on my 03. The pipe between the cat and the muffler is only 2.5", so I went with a 2.5 muffler.

It's barely noticeible at freeway speeds but it is noticible, It gets more noticible when I'm pulling my 5000# car hauler at freeway speeds. But it's not too loud that I can't talk on the cell or other people in the car.
Any performance/MPG gains worth mentioning? Or is it just for pure auditory pleasure

Quick Reply: Need advise on exhaust.