Expedition / Navigator

05' expy, Strange noise at startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' expy, Strange noise at startup

I have noticed a strange noise over the past few weaks when starting my '05. I dont know if i can accurately describe it, but hear it goes. When it sits over night and i am starting it cold, the moment the engine fires it makes a strange rattle. It is not a deep, engine nock sound, more like higher pitch rattling. My wife said that she felt the brake pedal shake a few times when it did this, and it does sound a bit like the abs motor. The other thing i was thinking it sounds like is maybe the lifters/adjusters bleed down and rattle a few seconds until they get oil.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Any ideas?

Matt

Old 04-28-2006, 05:07 PM
I've got the same problem with mine. It will do it if it sits for a few days. I know there are others with the same problem, but don't know if anyone has determined what is causing it.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably a cam phaser or a lash adjuster. I recently found out through the grapevine that cam phasers can make some noise on cold start up that they ain't supposed to (I originally thought they only clicked/rattled at hot idle). A timing chain tensioner might be bleeding down overnight as well. Prolly time for a trip to your friendly neighborhood Ford dealer.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Sounds like the cam phaser.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:23 AM
maybe narrowing it down.

I have found a bunch of people that have this noise. Many of them are '04 owners. If i remember correctly, the '04's dont have cam phasers; so that wouldnt be the problem.

I have been trying to listen more closely the last few times i have been starting it. I stuck my head uder the dash and started it. It sounded to me like it was comming form the vent system. Maybe all of the doors,baffles are moving during that time. The 04-up f150 has a fresh air door that opens when the car is off to circulate air. Maybe this has the same. The f150 would clunck on startup, maybe this thing rattles.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 AM
04 Expy clattering vibration at startup

I have a similar problem--a clattering vibration at startup sometimes hear it on the passenger side and other times hear and feel it on the driver's side. I suspected the ventilation system, so I cut it off, shut down the engine, restarted with no noise. I turned the A/C on after the car was running and got the noise. I'm thinking a gate(s) that open and close are worn out or somehow binding until pressure builds up and flaps them open. That's what it sounds like to me, but I have no idea where to look under the dash for the "gates" if that's the right term. This make sense as a possible cause?

Old 07-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Sounds like timing chain tensioners to me the seal(s) on the back of the tensioners are shot allowing the tensioner to bleed down. So when u crank it, it allows the chain to slap around a sedond or two. How do i know.......ive got the same issue

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Same here... is if a huge issue? I can't tell if I should get if fixed

Old 07-21-2012, 12:49 PM
i wouldnt let it go too long, a slapping chain is bound to rub debris off the timing cover and everything, id get them replaced asap. Im waiting until the wife goes back to work as we just had a baby, but im replacing all of the timing components while im in there (chains, tentioners, guides, etc...) I dont have to, my phasers are fine, but while its all apert, why not. about $500 in parts and ill do it myself

Old 07-21-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Yeah I'm only at 80k with another huge maintenance bill for front end overhaul and school payments, its gonna be next summer. It's every so often, not every day

Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM
My 05 Expy does this too, never thought much of it though. Only does it after it has sat for a while.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Earlier in this thread, "Golden" got it right--at least for my problem. Apparently a baffle or gate in the ventilation system was sticking and vibrating when first starting cold. After reading his post, the sound I had seemed more like a vibration in the ventilation system than anything else. I toyed with taking it apart but didn't like the time it would take. So I decided to try to "shake it loose". I made sure the fan was on high when I started the car and then cycled through all the ventilation options (floor, dash, defrost, etc.) After doing that 3 times when cold, the problem went away. Once or month or so, I go through the options -- not sure it helps, but it hasn't come back.

Quick Reply: 05' expy, Strange noise at startup