Expedition / Navigator

Just got an '05, Mods questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got an '05, Mods questions

I just got an '05 XLT Expedition 4x4. We had to get rid of our '04 F150 because come October, we need room for another car seat.

Anyway, i did a little reading here and couldnt come up with many clear answers. I was wondering if you guys have done any mods to try and get some better fuel milage (exhaust, air filter, chips, etc) and have you got any postive results.

Also, do any of you have an aftermarket backup alarm/sensor installed? If so which one and could you describe how you hooked it up and how the display mounted.

Just a quick comment about the Expy. I have put about 600 miles on it so far and i really love it. The ride is awesome and the power is more than adequate with the 3.73 rear. I have run 2 tanks of fuel, both with injector cleaner, and have got ~14.5 mpg. I just filled up without injector cleaner and i hope that number gets a little better, not that i expect much more.

i am glad to joint this community.

Matt

Old 03-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. But don't be disappointed when the milage doesn't get much better.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
A light foot is about the only mod that will save significant fuel. Some say they have gotten better mileage with a programmer but I know if I had one, my foot would more than offsewt the gains.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Congrats on your new truck! Those are nice!

Like the others have said, your not going to get much more mileage per gallon with a huge SUV like that gas guzzling monster is.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Congrats

MGolden congrats on the new truck and you might not get much better fuel economy. I am showing ~16MPG now.

I have installed a billet grill (both upper and lower)

I am saving up for a K&N FIPK and a Magna Flow cat-back exhaust for more HP and fuel economy.
I am also going to be getting some 22" rims for my truck. I have been having a hard time finding wheels that have the look I am wanting.

On the rims I think I found some Black Rhino wheels that are just about perfect. I am looking for 22" with no screw heads and a brushed metal look (to match the KR logos).

Old 03-22-2006, 08:28 AM
I have installed the Superchips tuner from Troyer. Makes a BIG difference. More responsive and much quicker. No change in fuel economy.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:14 AM
ge2
Don't be too shocked

If you find that adding an open element intake, along with a nice new exhaust system, actually makes your mpg drop (significantly, likely). In theory, they will both aid in the airflow in your system, which could increase your MPG-- but unless you are deaf, or do not like the new powerful sounds that you hear when you stomp on that throttle pedal, you're going to lose MPG with those two mods

Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Congrats on the expy they are a awesome vehicle. I did install a reverse sensing system out of a 2003 explorer on our 2002 supercrew we had. I got the parts from the salvage yard here in town. It was the best mod I did to the supercrew and I did alot of them. I have talked to some people that have installed a aftermarket system on there trucks before I did mine but I don't remember what the names were, sorry. Check out the salvage yard maybe they might have one you can pick up cheep.

Quick Reply: Just got an '05, Mods questions