Expedition / Navigator

Key in ignition reminder chime -How to Kill?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key in ignition reminder chime -How to Kill?

I want to kill the annoying chime that happens when you have the key in the ignition and open the door. ~Like when you have the key in Acc. with the doors open...

Its a 2003 Expy. Im refering to.

I have done this on my 150 and 350 but there doesn't seem to be the little access hole under the column to get to the ignition cylinder release button.

Thanks for any help

Old 10-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Nobody knows how to do this?

Old 10-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts
Locate and cut the wire that goes from the ignition switch to the chime module.

Consult the schematics for your vehicle's exact particulars.

Steve

Old 10-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Theres an easier way. I dont remember the specifics, but i have a general idea.

Stick your key in the ingnition and i believe you turn it to the on position, possibly the accesories position. Then look under the steering wheel near the key, there should be three holes. Stick a screwdriver in em trying to find the right one that pops the key out. Two have screws i think, the other has the release. Then pull the entire key assembly out, it just slides out. Now there are some metal tabs and stuff inside the hole that touch metal tabs on the key assembly to make the chime, use a wires or something and leave the door open til you find it. Then just tape that piece. If you try it and can't pull it off, ill go and get the specific details.

Old 10-26-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by grinomyte
Theres an easier way. I dont remember the specifics, but i have a general idea.

Stick your key in the ingnition and i believe you turn it to the on position, possibly the accesories position. Then look under the steering wheel near the key, there should be three holes. Stick a screwdriver in em trying to find the right one that pops the key out. Two have screws i think, the other has the release. Then pull the entire key assembly out, it just slides out. Now there are some metal tabs and stuff inside the hole that touch metal tabs on the key assembly to make the chime, use a wires or something and leave the door open til you find it. Then just tape that piece. If you try it and can't pull it off, ill go and get the specific details.

This is how I did it on my 150 and 350. Its not the same on the 04 Expy thanks anyway

Old 10-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by bikenut
This is how I did it on my 150 and 350. Its not the same on the 04 Expy thanks anyway
oh duh, you said that. Hmmm ok, but there has to be a way to pull the key piece, probably look into that.

Old 10-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Well, I took the bottom part of the steering column off and individually removed wires from plugs to see if it was a single wire going to the ignition. From what I can tell, its one of the large gauge wires so that means it serves other -and more important- functions so I cant just remove it. I guess the chime is somewhere along the powerline up under the dash

As near as I can tell, the chime itself is WAY up in the dash. Its hard to try to locate by sound and I cant see anything.

I HATE THIS CHIME!!

Old 10-30-2003, 06:25 PM
i believe the actual "chime" comes from a GEM module, which is expensive and has tons of other functions. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Key in ignition reminder chime -How to Kill?