Will headders kill power???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Will headders kill power???

I've got a new 5.4L F-150 and want to get Edelbrock headders. I already have a K&N FIPK and Flowmaster muffler si/do 40. Will adding headders actually cost me some power or low end torque? I am going to get a chip tuned for the headders at the same time. Will this help? Would you get the headders anyways? Thanks.

Old 07-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provided the "headers" are designed properly you shouldn't lose any low-end torque. If the primary tubes are of too large a diameter then you will lose torque but have more top-end. JBA makes different models for the 4.6 and 5.4 now optimized for either engine. I didn't know edelbrock made them for the modular motors. Whatever you do make sure you buy a set with equal-length tubes or you're really wasting your money for 2 hp if that. Do it right or don't bother.

Remember with the chip you'll have to buy premium gas, around here it's 10 cents a litre more, so on a typical tank of 80 litres that's $8 a tank extra each time and with the distance I drive each week (1 tankful) that's over $400 in a year.

Put your money into a shift kit tranny valve body (transgo, b&m) instead of a chip.

In the old days we used to run high octane and crank the distributor to get 35-40 degrees BTDC timing (drag racing VW's).

My 2 cents.

Old 07-14-2002, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant see you losing any power by adding headers. I added them about a year ago and have seen a good increase in power.

Quick Reply: Will headders kill power???