Dynomax Ultra Flow exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 05:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Dynomax Ultra Flow exhaust

After a lot of research I have finally made my decision to go with the Dynomax Ultra Flow exhaust. This should allow me to keep my low end torque but still get the tough rumble sound that I want. I also decided to go with a muffler instead of glasspacks. However, I am not sure weather or not the muffler is the right choice. My buddy has a 1994 FORD with the 5.0L engine and I can bearly hear his exhaust. I dont want to run into the same situation here. I am going with slanted cut tips and 2 1/2" pipes. Hopefully this will help improve the noise a little.

Does anyone have the muffler setup and wish they went to glasspacks instead?

I cant wait on the input!

Old 05-21-2002, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're confusing me.

A Dynomax Ultra Flo system consists of usually 3" pipe for a late model F150 and would include an Ultra-Flo muffler, either stainless and wrapped or welded (not stainless). Both mufflers look like a traditional muffler but are essentially a glass-pack design since the pipe runs straight through the muffler and is perforated with a glass woven roving insulation inside the can.

Perhaps your friend has a Dynomax system with the Super-Turbo muffler which is not a straight-through design and has a slightly louder than OEM sound but no hi-rpm bark like the ultra-flo.

With the Dynomax systems you can purchase individual components such as mufflers/pipes separately and combine parts to form a system you want.

If you go to page 4 of the Dynomax Ford Truck application pdf documents: http://www.dynomax.com/documents/trucksingle/ford.pdf you'll see that in fact there is no Ultra-flo system available. You'd need to purchase the pipes and muffler separately.

Last edited by p_ferlow; 05-21-2002 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:35 PM
Lightbulb Thats correct!

Perhaps your friend has a Dynomax system with the Super-Turbo muffler which is not a straight-through design and has a slightly louder than OEM sound but no hi-rpm bark like the ultra-flo.

Thats exactly what it is... Is the sound any louder or should I get glass packs? I would really like the sound over the loss of low end torque. If glass packs would be the better route then I should probobly go with that. I appreciate the input. After I read what I posted I did see how it could seem to be confusing. Thanks for the response and helping me remember what muffler he was using.

Old 05-22-2002, 08:24 AM
go to www.a-1performance.com They have the Ultra flow kit you need.

Old 05-26-2002, 05:05 PM
4X4PWR-

The Super Turbo has average flow with a mild/mellow sound. The Ultra-flow is high flow/straight thru with a throaty, muscle car, loud sound.

Old 05-28-2002, 03:35 AM
max mitchell

Thanks for the help. I am going to ask and see if he has the Ultra-flow muffler, if not I can settle for the other one. I was originally supposed to get my duals today. The whole memorial thing messed that up. So I am getting them tomorrow morning. I will take some pics and try and get a sound clip when its all done.
Thanks Again.

Old 05-28-2002, 09:52 AM
4X4PWR-

You're Welcome !! Good Luck on your installation.

Old 05-28-2002, 12:44 PM
dual's

Well, I dropped it off and I decided to go with a glass pack instead because he said the muffler would make it really quite so I decided to go with a glasspack. We will see if its too loud. I can always go back and get a muffler if its too loud. I talked to guy there and he said they only carried dynomax turbo mufflers...
I am not too sure how good that muffler is and the sound quality so I decided to go with the glasspack. I will let ya guys know how it sounds... Hopefully I wont have to redo it because its too loud with my 5.4L Engine.
Thanks again all.

Old 05-28-2002, 01:24 PM
4X4PWR

I wish I could have replied to you before you dropped your truck off. My experience could have given you a little bit more info to help you make a decision.

I had a 99 4.6L 4x4 Lariat I bought used. When I got it, it had true duals with no mufflers. I thought it was a little bit loud at first, but very quickly got accustomed to the sound.

I totalled that truck in late December and purchased an 02 FX4 with the 5.4L on a Wednesday evening. The next afternoon I took off early and showed up at the muffler shop. I had the guy cut out the factory muffler and put in a 40 series Flowmaster SI/DO with some tips (about 4"x18"). When I started the truck, I couldn't even tell that I had just spent $300 unless I got on the gas pretty good. I did have a slightly louder idle with a mellow tone, but I did not like it AT ALL!

The next afternoon, I went back to the muffler shop and had the guy cut out the Flowmaster and cut the "Y" connection out of the stock exhaust and weld some pipe in for the true dual setup like my 99.

I was afraid that the 5.4L was going to be a good bit louder than the 4.6L, but they are almost identical.

It is not as loud as you would think either. This is because of the 4 catalytic converters that these trucks have.

Good luck on your setup.

Creole

Quick Reply: Dynomax Ultra Flow exhaust