Just installed H-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed H-Pipe

I've got a 02 F-150 4x4 FX4 with the 5.4L and I had true duals installed at about 200 miles. My previous truck was a 99 with the 4.6L and on that truck, I also had true duals with no mufflers. I really liked the way the 99 sounded, so I did the 2002 the same way (no muffs).

Actually, I had a Flowmaster 40 series installed on the 2002, but had the muffler shop jerk it out the next day because it was just too quiet.

My current exhaust system is (was) true duals with 2.25 pipe all the way out. I have 4"x18" tips exiting behind each rear wheel facing slightly rearward and downward. The truck sounds great! It's not as loud as you would think unless you get on it pretty good while the truck is still cold.

My only problem is that I felt I lost some low end torque. I've not been too concerned because usually the heaviest thing I pull is a 5x13 foot trailer with 2 fairly heavy ATVs.

Last week I posted a message and read a lot of posts on these scavenger pipes (h and x-pipes). I visited quite a few websites and checked out what they had to say. I came to the conclusion that I just needed to check it out for myself. I decided to get an h-pipe installed just rearward of where the drivers side crosses over and makes it's run to the back of the truck. The pipes are only 4 or so inches apart, so my "H" is very short.

So, basically, here is my conclusion, opinion, yada, yada on the h-pipe on my 5.4.

The exhaust is now a little bit (very little bit) quieter, but maybe a fraction deeper. The new pipe seems to have eliminated most of the rattling when you get on the truck while it's still cold. It has a different tone altogether to it, but just slightly. I really don't know if I like the new sound better or not. It's just that close.

And of course, the reason I actually had it put in...torque...

Well, if my torque increased any at all, it was just slightly. I pulled a small trailer Saturday, but with as little weight as I had on it, I really couldn't tell any difference.

I hope this helps those of you who are considering upgrading your factory exhaust.

Creole

P.S. I've gotta get a digital cam so I get some shots of my truck.

2002 White F-150 4x4 FX4 Supercab
Black Warn Transformer kit
Warn XD9000i winch
KC 150 watt sealed beam Daylighters
Black stepbars
K&N drop in
Stampede low profile bug shield
Vent shade window thingies

waiting on hunting season to get here to get my mud tires

wanting a chip...any recommendations...???

Quick Reply: Just installed H-Pipe