Dual Exausts=Better Gas Mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dual Exausts=Better Gas Mileage???

I have a 1995 F-150 5.0 V8 302 and I get terrable fuel mileage. And by terrable I mean 5-6 MPG!!! I've heard that getting dual exausts increases fuel mileage. Is that true??? Also I've heard that a K&N Air Filter will do the same. Is that true??? And finally.... is their any other suggestions anyone has to get better fuel mileage??? I just cant afford to disk out $35 a WEEK on gas.

Thanks in advance!

Blazer

Old 02-28-2002, 12:03 AM
kn will get you better fuel mileage. a little more with any free flowing exhaust. go for headers too if you got the cash. the most important thing is to stay off the gas.

Old 02-28-2002, 07:49 AM
Lightbulb

Has the mileage always been this bad or did it decrease over a short time? Any loss in performance? When was the last time your replaced the plugs and wires? Another thing to consider is 02 sensors.

Sorry about all the questions but having a little maintenance history helps narrow down the possible causes.

Old 02-28-2002, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a '93 F150 w/302 that got around 8mpg. It had a cat-back dual system that made no difference in economy. However, I installed a SuperChip and immediately felt more power and got an honest 2+ mpg increase. It'll take a lot of fuel to recover the cost of the chip, but at least you'll have some more power to enjoy.

Old 02-28-2002, 01:21 PM
dual exhausts will get better fuel economy if you have an H-pipe or X-pipe (x is better) setup. DO NOT get straight pipes.

Like someone else suggested, when was the last time you went over your truck with a fine tooth comb?

-- update --
in the aftermarket exhaust forum, there's a post about X-pipes not being such a great upgrade.

Last edited by Corpsie; 12-13-2004 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:44 PM
You have some other problem, maybe a plugged cat or some serious FI or computer problem. Maybe a bad O2 sensor. At any rate, no muffler is going to solve your problem. I put true duals on mine and if anything, because it sounds so sweet when you get on it, you will probably loose a little.

Old 03-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Isecatcher w/ Poor Mileage...

I would try a complete tune up first of all. I had a '95 300 I-6, and got a regular 15 mpg, which was rated at 17mpg, city.

I have a friend at work, and he gets 13 mpg w/ his '95 302, 5.0l, AOD trans.

Try the following first...

-fuel filter (you will need a special fuel filter wrench for this)
-Borg Warner, Heavy Duty Cap/Rotor kit
-quality, spiral core spark plug wires (MSD)
-Champion truck plugs (gap them, using underhood highest gap)
-quality air filter
-oil change w/ quality oil filter
-PCV valve
-check compression on all 8 cylinders
-check your ignition coil, possibly go with an MSD coil and wire set
-trans fluid and filter change
-rear axle service/ fresh fluid
-Chevron fuel injector cleaner, prior to changing out the fuel filter

This should help you get atleast 2 MPG better in the city. My Dad gets 10-11 mpg in the city with his '96 F350, 4 door dually, with a 460 Big Block, w/AOD transmission and 3.73 rear gears.

Good Luck, Let me know if you need anything else.

R1968

Last edited by Ranchero1968; 03-09-2002 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Sorry to bring up such an old post, but in all the searching, I can't seem to find my answer. This thread came the closest.

I own a 1995 F150 Extended cab XLT. 5.0L, AOD, AC, tow package, etc w/116,xxx miles. Excellent condition.

However, she needs a tune up. I'm unable to find the proper spark plug gap information. I looked under the hood at the decal, but it only shows the firing order. Also checked the owners manual, but it say to check the hood decal.

Can someone on throw me a bone here?

Old 04-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think putting an exhuast system on your truck will inprove gas mileage I find it hard to believe other wise they would come from the factory that way besides the soud will want you to get on the gas more making mileage go down or it would in my case as i would get on the gas harder if I had my truck dualed out.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:54 PM
wow thats really bad gas mileage for your 302...i get 17 mpg w/ my 351 5.8L... my x pipe cat-back seemed to help my gas a little

Old 05-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by hmustang
I don't think putting an exhuast system on your truck will inprove gas mileage I find it hard to believe other wise they would come from the factory that way besides the soud will want you to get on the gas more making mileage go down or it would in my case as i would get on the gas harder if I had my truck dualed out.
They don't put duals on because of weight and cost. What's good for emissions isn't necessarily good for gas mileage, ipso facto if you do something that is bad for emissions (freer flowing exhaust = less residual exhaust gas) it can improve fuel economy.

Quick Reply: Dual Exausts=Better Gas Mileage???