F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Exhaust & Intake Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems-27/)
-   -   New Truck - Roush Exhaust Removal? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems/520255-new-truck-roush-exhaust-removal.html)

russ10screw 02-04-2019 05:49 PM

New Truck - Roush Exhaust Removal?

Hey Everyone. Been a while since I've posted on here. But I just traded in my 2010 F150 FX4 SuperCrew with a 5.4 and 155,000 miles for a 2013 FX4 with the Ecoboost. I know its not a significant age upgrade, but everything else is. Only 50k miles on it and looks great. Has lots of upgrades. The only one I'm NOT crazy about is the Roush exhaust. I seem to follow the school of thought most on here do; you just don't put an exhaust on a V6. No reason to showcase that exhaust note. It appears to be the full system (cat back). It has an ok sound. Nothing like my 5.4 with a Borla had. So I'm wondering what I should do. Should I remove it? Do I try to find a stock system and put it on? Do I remove part of it but keep mid piping and just replace the muffler and beyond? Obviously, I'm getting used to it at this point, but still just not my favorite sound. And truth be told, not a huge fan of the side by side dual tips coming straight out the back on a 4x4. Thanks for any suggestions!

glc 02-04-2019 06:46 PM

You shouldn't have a problem finding someone who would want to trade their stock exhaust for your Roush.

I seem to follow the school of thought most on here do; you just don't put an exhaust on a V6.
I would not assume that.

russ10screw 02-05-2019 12:42 PM

Haha. Thank you. My fault for assuming. I was more just asking if there are performance gains that justify keeping the exhaust or parts of it (I do have a tuner) rather than returning it to stock.

glc 02-05-2019 02:20 PM

Not really. The stock exhaust is fairly low restriction.

russ10screw 02-05-2019 04:18 PM

Thanks!

Siberexpress 02-10-2019 09:55 PM

The only thing I ever got from the Dronemaster , I mean Roush Exhaust was a little more deaf.

tbear853 02-11-2019 09:10 PM

If it displeases you, you probably should remove it.

russ10screw 10-28-2021 03:13 PM

Hey everyone. Old thread but still in the same situation, so I figured I'd revive it a bit. I have more relevant information that may help.

Refresh on the setup...2013 FX4 SuperCrew with 3.5 Ecoboost. Currently has the Roush Cat back exhaust. The piping and clamp transitions don't look great anymore, not sure if there's value in trying to sell it.

I got under and measured everything, so here is the full layout...

Stock Cats -> Stock Y-pipe -> Connection flange -> 3" piping -> Roush Resonator -> 3" piping -> Roush single in/single out muffler -> 3" piping to Roush split dual tips coming straight out under rear bumper.

It isn't the tone I particularly enjoy and when you get on it, it really sounds metallic and just not great. Also drones pretty significantly when I tow our trailer. So I'd like to remove it, but would like a little help on which way to go here. I don't want more volume or sound. If anything I'd like less, but would like a nice muffler option (will probably use a black tip to finish it off and keep it a single outlet).

1. Do I keep 3" piping and inlet/outlets for whatever I change to?

2. Do I need to purchase both a resonator and a muffler and install in line like they are now? If so, do the brands of resonators and mufflers need to be the same? Or is there a specific resonator that works well?

3. Or should I delete the resonator (what I see most people do, but it always seems to be with the intent of gaining volume or depth of tone) and just install mid-pipe into a muffler first? Is this the option I should start with and then if I don't like it, add a resonator back in?

4. Finally, knowing I'd prefer a quieter setup that still flows and performs well, which brands do you suggest?

Thank you!

glc 10-28-2021 03:50 PM

Look for someone that has a stock takeoff system, everything behind the y-pipe. The stock system flows very well.

russ10screw 10-29-2021 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 5273390)
Look for someone that has a stock takeoff system, everything behind the y-pipe. The stock system flows very well.

Ok, thanks. I may keep looking. If I end up opting to just make the move to another aftermarket because I get impatient, do you suggest putting a new resonator and muffler in? Or delete the resonator and just install a muffler? Thanks again.

glc 10-29-2021 03:30 PM

Install a stock OEM or aftermarket system, with muffler and resonator.