CAI issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI issues

I installed a spectra cai and it idle was real weird like vibration in the and would fluxuate the rpmsair filter from the aftermarket pipe. It had new hoses and pipe from throttle body back.
I had to cut holes into cone filter and it seemed to relieve pressure or somn cuz it started running better. After a while problem started I changed cones went with a smaller diameter pipe. It was 4" I went down to a 3" and it started stalling immediately upon start up unless you held rpm at 1000 then it would run fine the whole time after that untill you shut it off and started it again. So I decided to go back to stock but keep the cone filter. I'm hearing the same woofing like sound coming from the air intake and not sure what it is. It mostly happens when coming down in Rpms or to a stop. Like idle it won't do it. Only when say coming to a redlight or a stop sign when slowing down you can hear it and it won't mess with the rpms anymore but it's definitely not supposed to happen. The vacuum hoses has the one to the throttle body real short straight from air intake hose to connector and the other is plugged with a smaller cone on it since I no longer have the hose. And a 4" k&n filter. Just looking for somn help with a fix cuz I'm out of solutions to try?
02f150
4.6L V8

Old 08-27-2017, 01:15 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Put the entire stock air system back on it and do a Gotts mod. Use a stock paper filter.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...3-f-150-a.html

Old 08-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Savage150
I installed a spectra cai and it idle was real weird like vibration in the and would fluxuate the rpmsair filter from the aftermarket pipe. It had new hoses and pipe from throttle body back.
I had to cut holes into cone filter and it seemed to relieve pressure or somn cuz it started running better. After a while problem started I changed cones went with a smaller diameter pipe. It was 4" I went down to a 3" and it started stalling immediately upon start up unless you held rpm at 1000 then it would run fine the whole time after that untill you shut it off and started it again. So I decided to go back to stock but keep the cone filter. I'm hearing the same woofing like sound coming from the air intake and not sure what it is. It mostly happens when coming down in Rpms or to a stop. Like idle it won't do it. Only when say coming to a redlight or a stop sign when slowing down you can hear it and it won't mess with the rpms anymore but it's definitely not supposed to happen. The vacuum hoses has the one to the throttle body real short straight from air intake hose to connector and the other is plugged with a smaller cone on it since I no longer have the hose. And a 4" k&n filter. Just looking for somn help with a fix cuz I'm out of solutions to try?
02f150
4.6L V8
You removed the IAT sensor? Or Incorporated it into the new system?! I would take the advice and put the stock system back in. Show pics! I modified my 03' intake. Got the idea off this site. Probably will produce same gains or better then the Spectre. Also, did you just go to AutoZone and piece a kit together or did you buy one vehicle specific. I was pretty sure Spectre only made the parts and cone. No kits, but I could be wrong. Sounds like a botched sensor. System doesn't know intake air temp or mass air flow readings. Also fitment at the throttle is so super important. It must be exact or you'll be whizzing in air all around that fitting definitely causing some strange sounds.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Right no way I have the stock piping in and a cone filter. And the old sensors back in. The secondary sensor is slightly loose at the mounting area The hose is a lot shorter. Should I get a lengthier one to use instead to go back more stock like. Amd go back to a paper filter?

Old 08-27-2017, 04:05 PM
I would keep going with full stock intake reinstall. I hope you are up and running again with no issues. As long as that gets er running proper again. I can give you a quick rundown on the stock intake mod or just search the site. It's easy, fun, costs pennies, and gives ponies and a lovely intake rumble. However the IAT must be fully seated. Loose is not good.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Alrighty thanks I'm going to work on the re install today after work I'll post pics of what it's like now and after. Can some one post pics of the stock so I can re run the vaccum hoses correctly and the iat sensor seated right?

Old 08-27-2017, 05:07 PM
This is the current setup I have going

Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 PM
The intake Air temperature sensor is hanging out. It needs to be entirely seated. The o ring surround intakes it's just hanging there. Seat that bad boy in there. It will take some force and turning back and forth but you'll get it

Old 08-27-2017, 05:15 PM
Also what did you do with mass air flow sensor. If you touched it with your fingers or banged it will be all F'ed up and not read and deliver info correctly. It's very important to the intake system as aggravating as sensors are.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:24 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Shane, the Gotts mod you speak of is in the link in my previous post.

To the OP - put the whole stock intake back on from fenderwell to throttle body, with everything connected the way it's supposed to be and with known good stock sensors, verify it runs okay, then do the mod.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:34 PM
OKay thank you the maf sensor is in its original area in the large half cirlce pipe. Its working fine still. Il throw the old back in and verify that the noise is gone before I attempt the mod. What should I do about the two vacuum lines since as you can see from the photos they are altered and I'm not sure on the stock setup for them.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Shane, the Gotts mod you speak of is in the link in my previous post.

To the OP - put the whole stock intake back on from fenderwell to throttle body, with everything connected the way it's supposed to be and with known good stock sensors, verify it runs okay, then do the mod.
Nice glc! I didn't click the link when you posted earlier. That's awesome! That'll help him with that if he's so inclined. Great mod! Good post

Old 08-27-2017, 05:40 PM
OKay thank you the maf sensor is in its original area in the large half cirlce pipe. Its working fine still. Il throw the old back in and verify that the noise is gone before I attempt the mod. What should I do about the two vacuum lines since as you can see from the photos they are altered and I'm not sure on the stock setup for them.
Go to the junkyard and pop a couple stock hoses off. Or a bit pricier, go to ford dealer or order motorcraft stuff online. You'll be set. I hope you got some maf cleaner because it's a good time to spray er down. Glad you are getting there again though.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:49 PM

I got the stock setup back except for the hoses and the noise is still there just a lot more faint.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:09 PM

I got the stock setup back except for the hoses and the noise is still there just a lot more faint.
Yep that breather element you got in there and them hoses got to go. Describe the sound. Is idle stable? You may have to reconnect the stock intake components individually. Bet you find the culprit. Or start giving tiny burst of carb choke at each connection and each hose end and end. Make Sue to do it while the truck is running. Give time in between spraying each connection. Don't go crazy with it and certainly don't spray harnesses down and IAC exterior. Your vehicle will rev if you find the leak