Best muffler for muffler swap on 2000 ford f150 5.4

Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best muffler for muffler swap on 2000 ford f150 5.4

Its stock right now but I want to do a muffler swap to make it sound better. I pull a bass boat every other weekend or so and I'm around 2500 rpms out of overdrive on the highway and I don't want something that will be too overly loud or annoying, but I don't want to change out the muffler and it be hardly noticeable. I also want to get a muffler that I can use in the future on a Catback system. I don't want to spend much so I was thinking a thrush welded which is similar to a flowmaster 40 I believe, or get like a 14" magnaflow. I really don't know much about exhausts or mufflers so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lfangler17
Its stock right now but I want to do a muffler swap to make it sound better. I pull a bass boat every other weekend or so and I'm around 2500 rpms out of overdrive on the highway and I don't want something that will be too overly loud or annoying, but I don't want to change out the muffler and it be hardly noticeable. I also want to get a muffler that I can use in the future on a Catback system. I don't want to spend much so I was thinking a thrush welded which is similar to a flowmaster 40 I believe, or get like a 14" magnaflow. I really don't know much about exhausts or mufflers so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
The longer your choice in muffler the less likely the noticeability you'll have at highway speed.

I too did not want to be overwhelmed by exhaust tone.

Have you found the exhaust section there is a bunch of info there...https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ust-guide.html

I did swap my factory muffler for a magnaflow 18" oval unit. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it. I don't hear it much at all at 55-60mph, & at interstate speed say 65-75mph it is a bit noticeable, but not bad. One can still have a conversation and hear the radio but ya might have to bump up the volume just a bit. The tire noise, or road noise is more of intrusion depending on the road surface. The only thing I was hoping for was more growl on blurp of the skinny pedal. I think if I would get a more of a straight through flow design I would get that. My current muffler does not have straight through design. I do "some day" plan on redoing my catalytic convertors to just 2 (1 per side) and that should yield my desired note.

If you want to go with twin tail pipes then you should look for a muffler that has single inlets and dual outlets (SIDO)...so look for that in a catback system. YouTube has a bunch of sound bites/videos to compare to.

Search this Thread