I need some advice on Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some advice on Headers

Rockin the 2010 F-150 King Ranch 5.4L V8, only 2WD but who cares, it's a King Ranch I snagged from the dealership for 29k with 40k miles on it, excellent condition. So far I put a true dual exhaust on, got a K&N intake, leveled her out and put some 35's on. I'm lookin for more HP as well as MPG. From what I've read long tube headers are the way to go but I haven't found a thread where people discuss the different diameters on the headers or which brand specifically produces the best results, whether or not to get new cams, the truth behind back pressure and everything else a rookie would need to know so he doesn't waste money.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
The money spent on headers should never be used to justify mpg or even power. The install cost or effort if you diy along with the cost of a quality kit would take many years to even get a benefit. That's if you gain anything in the mpg department. The best mod is a tune.

2009 and later ford trucks are so loud compared to the earlier models. Getting rid of the resonator and putting on a round body muffler makes them really loud. I had to put aftermarket cats on to get close to that volume on my '04. I'd also steer away from cams if you're looking for mpg. Just get a nice cat back put together and put the extra money towards gas.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 05-19-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 PM
Well I just recently got back from deployment and I saved a bunch of money so I could mod my truck, I want to gain as much horse power as I can without sacrificing my mpg since I drive from Killeen to Houston very frequently and with Summer on the way I'll be driving all over Texas.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:13 PM
i have an 06 5.4 looking for the same info..any info will help..thanks in advance

Quick Reply: I need some advice on Headers