Magnapack SI/SO Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnapack SI/SO Advice?

Since i got rid of my Mustnag, I'm a little rusty in my exhaust knowledge. I have a stock 06 5.4 FX4. I recently picked up a Magnaflow Magnapack SI/SO. Without measuring it, I'm guesstimating its about 14-18in OAL, 4in diameter body, with a 2.5in inlet/outlet. I got it used for $25, plus came with a pair of Magnaflow 304 stainless tips. This wasn't my first brand of choice, but I know enough not to pass on a good piece of used stainless or $25. I've had these on my Mustang before, two of them, and of course that was different as I had LTs, Cams, not cats, and a Mac Prochamber mid pipe. It sounded good. But oranges to apples here.

My question is, what are people's impressions with a SI/SO with the stock piping? I have no plans to upgrade the cats, no plans to do a different Y. Just want the muffler for a little more aggressive tone is all. I might spend the extra money to have a SI/DO setup and use those tips I got in the deal, and have duals out the back. Does a single Magnapack trumpet or drone on highway speeds? With stock piping/cats, would it be considered pretty loud still when compared to others with Mag Y/Cats added? Is there any difference is decibels when going to SI/DO vs just SI/SO?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The smaller factory piping will make for a sound that is a little more quiet. All things being equal, parger-diameter tubing after the muffler or split-dual setup would give a louder and deeper tone.

Regarding drone, I don't think you'll have a definite answer until you install it. Generally Magnaflow is good for not droning, but that's when using their complete systems.

If you really want some sound (and more possibility for droning), you could just put the muffler on with a 45° elbow going down. That will give a deep and bassy tone along with better flow for cheap.

Matter of preference really.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorj77
Since i got rid of my Mustnag, I'm a little rusty in my exhaust knowledge. I have a stock 06 5.4 FX4. I recently picked up a Magnaflow Magnapack SI/SO. Without measuring it, I'm guesstimating its about 14-18in OAL, 4in diameter body, with a 2.5in inlet/outlet. I got it used for $25, plus came with a pair of Magnaflow 304 stainless tips. This wasn't my first brand of choice, but I know enough not to pass on a good piece of used stainless or $25. I've had these on my Mustang before, two of them, and of course that was different as I had LTs, Cams, not cats, and a Mac Prochamber mid pipe. It sounded good. But oranges to apples here.

My question is, what are people's impressions with a SI/SO with the stock piping? I have no plans to upgrade the cats, no plans to do a different Y. Just want the muffler for a little more aggressive tone is all. I might spend the extra money to have a SI/DO setup and use those tips I got in the deal, and have duals out the back. Does a single Magnapack trumpet or drone on highway speeds? With stock piping/cats, would it be considered pretty loud still when compared to others with Mag Y/Cats added? Is there any difference is decibels when going to SI/DO vs just SI/SO?
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02glasspack.asp
Its my understanding that Magnapacks will drone (magnapacks being the another version of a glass pack)....BUT not the full flow through mufflers. A co worker of mine I think has them (they came on his truck) and they do drone going down the road.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universalsatinxl.asp
I do have a 18" magnaflow SI-SO and like the sound I get out of it...not tooo loud and no drone at high way speeds. I only changed the muffler everything else is stock configuration....but that me and what I like.

Listen to a bunch of Youtube video and pick what you like

Quick Reply: Magnapack SI/SO Advice?