Code P0430, Engine light on 2005 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code P0430, Engine light on 2005 F-150

Good afternoon! I am digging this site and am hoping you can help me.

I purchased the truck approx a month ago. Two days after purchasing it the engine light came on. Had the code ran at Advanced Auto Parts and it came up P0430 (Bank 2 catalyst efficiency below threshold). Ford said it was a driver's side O2 sensor. Took it to my mechanic and they replaced it.

2 days later the light comes back on with same code. Took it back to the mechanic and they said that the passenger side has already been replaced and while driving while hooked up to the monitor, the 4 sensors were not going off at the same time, so they replaced the 2 rear O2 sensors.

3 days later the damn light comes back on with the same code!! when it came on this time, i was ramping up speed to get on the interstate and it hesitated pretty hard like it was out of gas, then cut back on.

My mechanic says a CAT or CAT something (forget what he said, thinking it was a cat monitor or something like that). Somewhere on this site I saw this link http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm and am wondering what the heck. Get a new cat or 2 cats put on or have my mechanic look at something else?

Thanks much!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
this morning i had the engine light turned off. after reading other posts on this site, i decided to take it out and get on it to see what happened. i floored it for about 4 blocks and a flashing engine light came on?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM
The catalytic convertor is weak and needs replacing.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:08 AM
thanks richard for your reply. since i posted last, i had the vehicle into my mechanic. i provided them with info received on this site and they were very appreciative. they checked everything. they said the catalytic convertor is not plugged and the back pressure test showed they were ok? they did get a new code to pop up and it was misfire on bank 5. they did not want to break the plug, so they switched the cop from bank 6 and bank 5. they then said that if the light, or when the light comes back on, that if it was bank 5, i need a new coil. if it is bank 6, then it is the plug.

just got it back yesterday afternoon from them and the light came back on this morning. stopped by advanced auto to have code checked and it is still the P0430? nothing about bank 5 or 6?

i am sick to my stomach at this point, what do you think?

thank you much for your time!!!!

Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What engine and year truck are we talking about?

Oops, I see it's an 05. Take a look at the injector recall info for that year. The flashing cell can indicate that you have a sticking injector and there is no DTC for that.

If you look in the V-8 forum I think there is a sticky for it. (the letter)

Your cat may still be bad, as in burned out and not clogged. The code you have means that there is little or no change between what the front and rear sensors are reading.

Also is your exhaust system in sound condition? Leaks can cause problems also.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by breezily45
thanks richard for your reply. since i posted last, i had the vehicle into my mechanic. i provided them with info received on this site and they were very appreciative. they checked everything. they said the catalytic convertor is not plugged and the back pressure test showed they were ok? they did get a new code to pop up and it was misfire on bank 5. they did not want to break the plug, so they switched the cop from bank 6 and bank 5. they then said that if the light, or when the light comes back on, that if it was bank 5, i need a new coil. if it is bank 6, then it is the plug.

just got it back yesterday afternoon from them and the light came back on this morning. stopped by advanced auto to have code checked and it is still the P0430? nothing about bank 5 or 6?

i am sick to my stomach at this point, what do you think?

thank you much for your time!!!!
The cat does not have to be plugged to be bad. If it is not cleaning as it should and the readings are falling below the threshold then it needs to be replaced.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 AM
thats my lemon. dropped off at ford dealership this morning. thanks for your replies guys, this site was a huge help. just educating myself so that i don't get taken to the cleaners is awesome.

thanks again!!

Old 07-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
What you failed to understand was what the 430 code tells you.
The rear sensor detects the performance of the cats ahead of it.
The PCM looks at the switching ratio between the fronts and the rears sensors.
This is determind by the performace of the cats.
Otherwise the PCM monitors the sensors for their operation and uses different codes than 430 for their failures.
You have bad cats that must be replaced.
You not going to be happy with the bill.
The cylinder missfire 5 may have helped kill the cats on that bank by burning raw gas in the cats and overheating them. This is indicated by the flashing CEL lamp.
Good luck.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Just cut the back two cats off and you wont have to worry about that big bill

Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
What you failed to understand was what the 430 code tells you.
The rear sensor detects the performance of the cats ahead of it.
The PCM looks at the switching ratio between the fronts and the rears sensors.
This is determind by the performace of the cats.
Otherwise the PCM monitors the sensors for their operation and uses different codes than 430 for their failures.
You have bad cats that must be replaced.
You not going to be happy with the bill.
The cylinder missfire 5 may have helped kill the cats on that bank by burning raw gas in the cats and overheating them. This is indicated by the flashing CEL lamp.
Good luck.
Exactly. When the OP floored it, the monitors misfire count increased, = flashing MIL/#5. The monitor picked it up and that was the clue.

That also fried the O2's. Running rich, fuel dump/soak will smoke them.

Better have those injectors looked at/replaced as well.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Read the link in the 07M08 sticky in v8 engines. Better safe than sorry.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM
I've gotten that code 3 times over the last year. It occured after filling up in Nevada. Unfortunately, I live in California. The Cats are a dealer only item here and are $1800 a piece. I have tried all of the local exhaust shops...Stupid CARB laws...

I haven't tripped the code in about 6 months...

Regards!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by kcward
I've gotten that code 3 times over the last year. It occured after filling up in Nevada. Unfortunately, I live in California. The Cats are a dealer only item here and are $1800 a piece. I have tried all of the local exhaust shops...Stupid CARB laws...

I haven't tripped the code in about 6 months...

Regards!

I would not worry about it then until it is time for your smog check, then if the problem returns make sure to take it to Ron Dupratt and not F.F. Ford. The cats should be covered by the 8/80k emissions warranty.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm not too worried til smog time (this time next year)...

Dupratt has already changed one cat at 81k...I was out of the 8/80 warranty then...It was covered under the extended warranty, but should have been covered under the Injector recall, as they had to replace the passenger side head and #3 injector at the same time...big argument regarding that...they could not prove or disprove that the injector was at fault.

BTW...Dupratt is as bad as all of the others...took them 3 months to find a bad Coil...#3 cylinder...truck has never run right since the whole head/cat/injector thing...bet I have a bent rod on #3...

They have done all of the work on my truck. I haven't been too pleased with them. At least I didn't have to deal with Vacaville Ford...those guys made my skin crawl!

Quick Reply: Code P0430, Engine light on 2005 F-150