New to the forums and looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forums and looking for advice!

Hey! Getting my 2011 5.0L FX4 Silver Screw in a week or so (would of got a 2012 but with rebates and my employee pricing I saved $18K+), and I'm wanting to add a little more power. I'm completely new to the truck scene so have clemency if I ask something stupid/obvious. I'm wanting to get a programmer and intake and stumbled upon "5 Star Tuning", they seem to have some quality products and know they're stuff but I want some advice from people with first hand experience. I am planning to put on some performance exhaust later (don't want to blow too much money at once), but would it be better to do exhaust and chip first or intake and chip first, or just suck it up and do it all at once?

Here is the intake I was looking at: http://5startuning.com/onlinestore/e...ne-50l-v8.html

Also got ahead of my self and got some badges:
http://www.autobadges.com/images/p_302_31.gif
Think I'm going to replace the F150 badges with them or put them where some put the 5.0L badge.

Give me your opinion on everything and thanks in advance!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:00 PM
The intake and all looks sweet, and according to others on this forum the folks at 5star know thier stuff. But a word of caution I think you will immediately void your warrenty when you install the intake and the tune. But hell if you qonna play you gotta pay. Sweet deal on the truck and welcome to the forum

Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 PM
I say do the exhaust first, then save and buy the other two items you want at the same time.

Exhaust will gain you nothing but sound(without headers), but the 5.0 will sound really good. Just do some research before pulling the trigger on an exhaust setup.

And welcome to the forum!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by c.frank47
The intake and all looks sweet, and according to others on this forum the folks at 5star know thier stuff. But a word of caution I think you will immediately void your warrenty when you install the intake and the tune. But hell if you qonna play you gotta pay. Sweet deal on the truck and welcome to the forum
I talked to the Parts and Service manager at my dealership and he said warranty will be voided only if Ford can prove that the aftermarket accessories caused the problem. That still doesn't offer me much comfort though; Ford is a powerful company, and if they don't want to pay, they won't. However I'm going in tomorrow to price out accessories and installation so I'll get some clarification then. I work at the dealership so that's a plus if anything goes wrong. But I'm going to put on a couple 1000KM's or so, more or less for my own comfort, and then do the modifications.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by ErikShockey
I say do the exhaust first, then save and buy the other two items you want at the same time.

Exhaust will gain you nothing but sound(without headers), but the 5.0 will sound really good. Just do some research before pulling the trigger on an exhaust setup.

And welcome to the forum!

Exhaust is truly my last concern, I enjoy the stock sound of the 5.0L. If I ever got exhaust it will be the full system that actually contributes too the performance of the truck, and that will cost a pretty penny.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 AM
I would not worry about the intake or exhaust and spend your money on a good tune. The intake is going to make it roar loud when you nail it, but it really isn't going to gain you much at the wheel. Maybe 5 hp at WOT. How often will you run at WOT?

Same with exhaust. I have not seen any dyno charts for any exhaust mods that gain any power in the rpm that these trucks play in. In fact, some loose low rpm torque and hp at the 2000 rpm range. Most Dyno charts don't even show the results that low.
These trucks cruise at around 2K. Under normal driving conditions, the most rpm a truck will see is about 4500, and that is for a few seconds, and then it drops again.
The bang for the buck just isn't there for the intake and exhaust mods. The best gains I have seen is with a tune.
If you want it loud, then those mods will get you that. Just realize you will pay a lot of money for little return.

Quick Reply: New to the forums and looking for advice!