Y-pipe, exhaust and ???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Y-pipe, exhaust and ???????

I am getting a new exhaust system soon.
Vortex muffler or Flowmaster 40 series?
Is $290 a good price for a vortex muffler (haven't got a 40 series priced yet), 2.5" pipe out back in to 3" tips?
I am seriously considering the y-pipe since everyone says good things about it, but how much extra should that be to get installed before i ask them?
Where is the O2 sensor on a '98 F-150 4x4? Will putting a y-pipe on the truck require relocating it or anything?

I get my first truck soon!! I'm 16 in 3 days but my dad has had the truck for a few years so, i'm way excited, thanks guys!!!

Old 08-13-2001, 03:22 PM
I have a Dynomax 1-in 2-out muffler and custom tailpipes and I paid about $250 for the whole thing, installed. I believe the muffler prices out at about $170 with a lifetime warranty. I've never had a Flowmaster but folks seem to like them. I'm not into the sound thing, just the performance gain that I got with the Dynomax.

I did the Y pipe replacement for about $100 total, including labor. I bought the part from Jegs for around $38 and had a local muffler shop install it. The part numbers are in the message board in numerous places. I probably could have saved a few bucks if I did them both at the same time while the exhaust system was apart but I didn't discover the Y-pipe replacement until I started looking at this message board...

My O2 sensor was relocated but I've seen this installed in a friends expy without having to relo the sensor. The Y pipe was welded to the muffler inlet and two 2.5 inch tubes were run from the cats back to the Y-pipe. Looks pretty clean but those two tubes are pretty close together. My Y-pipe is welded to the two pipes that come from the cats and then there is a single long pipe that's welded from the back of the Y to muffler inlet. The O2 sensor was relocated to the Y-pipe itself. I'm not sure which is the best way to do this from the purist's point of view but they both seem to work fine. The muffler shop should have the 'bung' necessary to do the relo if it's necessary. It's pretty simple for them to do.

Whatever you do, though, if you swap out the muffler it's definitely worth doing the Y-pipe as well. It'll pay you back in spades...

Old 08-13-2001, 04:26 PM
Unhappy Flowmaster 40

Good luck on finding a store that carries Flowmaster in Omaha or Council Bluffs. Called every store including the big names like Meinke and Midas and all the small custom shops. Called Flowmasters 1-800 number the done have a dealer in Nebraska and my closest shop is in Wisconsin. Screw that! Looks like in this area you get a vortec, Ravin or a glasspack. Having a Ravin 33 Si/Do installed sometime in the next week. Can't wait!

Quick Reply: Y-pipe, exhaust and ???????