Gotts mod impact on higher altitudes

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotts mod impact on higher altitudes

Ok, I've read just about every thread on the Gotts mod and I think I will try it on my 2007 w/ 5.4. I do a lot of off-roading out in the Nevada desert and cross the Sierras to get there from the SF bay area. I am thinking that providing much more air flow is going to benefit me most when the air gets thin over the various passes, am I wrong? Does the computer just compensate anyway and therefore the increased air flow is irrelevant, or will removing the constricting stock setup allow the computer to adjust better for the thinner air? I am content with the power of the truck now with the 5.4 and a Flowmaster but I like the idea of having better power up in the mountains. As an aside, what is the best way to clean the MAF sensor?

Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
like the write ups say, unhook the battery and allow the ECM to relearn what it needs and you'll be fine

Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
I did the mod on my 07' and I'll be honest I can't tell the difference at all. I figured being at high altitude in Colorado the more easily the air flowed the better it would perform. I'm thinking of putting it back to stock myself.

My guess is unless you have a custom tune your truck is going to adapt/compensate and run where it always has. It's going to adjust itself to a pre-set AF ratio and your right back where you started?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by graphite675
My guess is unless you have a custom tune your truck is going to adapt/compensate and run where it always has. It's going to adjust itself to a pre-set AF ratio and your right back where you started?
That was kind of my thought process as well. I can understand at WOT the modification helping out as at WOT you would be sucking maximum air. If you have the capability to go beyond the stock setup, then I would think there would be benefit. However, my truck is lifted with larger tires and I don't see myself going hammer down all that often. However, at higher altitudes I wondered if having more air available at when the air gets thinner would also help out. Sounds like you haven't noticed much difference. Sonora Pass, the one that I take regularly, is just shy of 10k feet though.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
what gears are in your truck???

Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM

3.73's now but going to 4.56's.

Quick Reply: Gotts mod impact on higher altitudes