Airaid CAI droning noise - w/ pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airaid CAI droning noise - w/ pics!

I installed an Airaid CAI on my 2005 5.4, (should have done the Gotts mod - yada yada yada - it was a gift!*FREE*)and there is a subtle (but very annoying) vibration / sound, at odd times. Not necessarily under hard acceleration or anything, but varying load conditions - say if I gently accelerate from 70 to 75. I've spoken to Airaid, and they gave me a pretty canned response: "aftermarket CAIs are louder than stock." No sh**. But I know what incoming air is supposed to sound like, and what two rigid pieces of something vibrating together sounds like. It's the latter.

And yes, I'm running Gryphon custom tunes w/ the CAI.

I've included pics to see if maybe I'm missing something, but the install was pretty straight forward. Any ideas?

Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you asked Bill to re-write the tune to eliminate the drone? IIRC he adjusts the valve timing and can, in most cases, make the drone 'bearable' if not eliminate it.

I know he's been there/done that for other owners, but as you know each truck responds differently.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OP.

Yer choices:

1. Live with it.
2. Remove it.
3. Attempt to get a tuning correction to minimize it - keeping in mind this is a compromise - the adjustments necessary to do this usually are anathema to optimal tuning to produce the best power.
4. Search - there are literally dozens of posts where intake drone in general, and AIRRAID / Roush ( same thing) intake drone in particular, is described. A lot of folks have simply got rid of theirs and moved on to stock/Gotts.

I understand the concept of *Free* - but now you also have *Free* obnoxious noises. And very little additional power to assuage yer suffering. And have also given yerself the fine opportunity to foul yer MAF with a oiled filter - again.... for *Free*.

The F'ugly (but sublimely quiet) stock intake works very well indeed, at the end of the day. I also spend less money on MAF cleaner - which I cannot get fer *Free*.

Gooooooood luck.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-08-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sometimes FREE ain't all what its cracked up to be.....

Live with it as is...
Live with it and get your tune rewritten and loose some umpf...
Put the stock one back on with the Gotts mod and get your tunes rewritten......

Decisions....decisions.....decisions......

Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 AM
I have the ROUSH version of that intake and I do not get a drone at all! I did the GOTTS mod at first but it was too fugly for me adn the new intake actually sounded/felt better.

I say try the tune thing.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Since returning to stock is not an option (intake went out in the recycle the next day), and I'd rather not pay again for new tunes - only to loose power, I guess I'll have to live with it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious, that others have encountered previously and resolved.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I have the same Air Intake and dont notice any strange noises.. dont know if that helps or not

Quick Reply: Airaid CAI droning noise - w/ pics!