2005 5.4L V8 Throttle Body sticking...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 5.4L V8 Throttle Body sticking...

Hi guys/gals,

I've had an issue w/ the trottle body sticking in my 2005 5.4L V8 the last couple of winters. Today in Chicagoland is approx 13*.

In the midst of a drive to work (45 mins), when my Edge receives 4 throttle body codes. Don't recall the actual numbers, but it states that TB sensor circuit failure, TB stuck open, TB stuck closed, TB forced open. In the past, I have replaced my drop-in K&N w/ typical paper filter and removed/cleaned the TB with WD-40. Removed/Cleaned MAF sensor as well. Runs perfect after that.

Now, with the temp is dropping, I recently entered "wrench mode" 3x during a 20 minute drive. I do have remote start and typically run it for 10 mins prior to driving to warm up.

Ironically enought, I picked up a spare TB just last week (awaiting delivery) because I figured this issue may return.

I have perfomed the GOTTs mod using the "factory" Edge tunes - but I don't see this as an issue since I have experienced this prior to the mod.

Does anyone have an idea on what could be causing this? Once received, I plan to install the replacement TB and install the paper filter - or would this be changing too many variables? Just trying to determine if the TB or cold temp is the culprit.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I would guess that your TB needs a to be removed and given a good cleaning using a TB cleaner, not WD-40. You need to clean the butterfly with a tooth brush. Made a world of difference in mine. WD-40 is wonderful stuff but I doubt this is a good application for it.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I would guess that your TB needs a to be removed and given a good cleaning using a TB cleaner, not WD-40. You need to clean the butterfly with a tooth brush. Made a world of difference in mine. WD-40 is wonderful stuff but I doubt this is a good application for it.
Thanks BlueJay! I'll stop tonight and get some CRC cleaner. There was a decent amount of gunk when I cleaned it last year, which is about 4 yrs worth. Can't imagine it being as dirty only a year later.

Worst case, I have the backup one coming...

Old 12-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You probably have a ton of gunk built up in it.....
Remove the TB from intake to do the best cleaning....
You may also want to replace the o-ring gasket on the base also......
Clean the MAF also if it to has been neglected for some time, use MAF cleaner for it.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Please tell me you used the cleaner and not wd40 when cleaning the maf sensor

Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Yes, used CRC for the MAF... gimme some credit.

Pre-cleaning TB:

Post-cleaning w/ CRC Throttle Body & Air Intake Cleaner

Also received my "backup" TB today. Ended up doing a trifecta: clean TB, clean MAF and replaced K&N w/ paper filter. We'll see how she holds up.

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4L V8 Throttle Body sticking...