header installation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
header installation question

I just started installing my pacesetter longtube headers today and have run into a couple of problems. I have the driver side longtube on but am still working on getting the passenger stock manifold off. I have the top 4 bolts off but was wondering what the best way to remove the bottom 4 is. I started taking off the starter and got the bottom bolt off but the top one is giving me some trouble. I am afraid if i keep trying im going to break it off. Is the top bolt on the starter reverse threaded or something?? I dont see why it would be but it just isnt coming out. Im headed back in the morning and was trying to get some input to how to get this thing out without breaking it? Thanks!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I helped my buddy with his and we had to go in throught the wheel well with a long extension. If you go to the "search" tab on this site and type in like "starter removal" or "starter problems" or something I'm sure you will get a million hits back maybe soem with pics. Good luck man.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Even better her ya go man. Under Technical articles type in " How-To: Remove 5.4L Starter" and this is what you need with pics. I can't get it to attach to this but this is what you are looking for.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Probably a little late to help but on my install, since nothing stock was being re-used I cut the pipes before the cats, may give you some extra room with the starter. On the four lower bolts on the manifold, it was a bear, some socket and swivel and some small wrench and eventually they came out. The starter bolts are all the same way, the top is just a pain, I had to use both hands, one finger on the bolt and the other hand working the socket and extension onto the bolt.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 AM
yea i finally got a saw zaw and cut the stock manifold into 3 different pieces haha. That gave me the room i needed to get the top starter bolt out. But the bigger question is now how did you get the top bolt back in once you put the longtubes back in?? I cant get it on at all. Thanks

Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 AM
I think I had to use a long extension, swivel and a bunch of hit and miss attempts. If you have access to some long slender fingers, you can use one finger on one hand to find the hole and the other hand/fingers to guide ya in... It was not fun...I may have not bolted the header in yet and kind of just let it hang there and could move it out the way a wee bit, plus I had the motor mount bolt out and engine jacked up an inch or three, i stopped jacking when I heard cracking...

Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 AM
when i did my headers i had to drop the engine 2ins to get at those bolts, but i have an 03 so i don't know if it the same deal on the 05s.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:41 PM
yea i dont know i tryed for forever and couldnt get it in...hopefully it wont mess anything up. i got the other 2 in nice and snug. I really dont want to have to unbolt the header cause that thing was a huge PITA to get in there.

Quick Reply: header installation question