Mods for improved mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods for improved mileage

I have a 2010 4x4 with a 36 gallon tank. With my 5.4L engine, I still drive it a luxury car. I'm curious about mods for mileage, rather than for power. This is really my dream vehicle, as I'm 6.5, 275lb and cars, suv's just don't do it....

Anyway... any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To increase the efficiency of your engine, you need to increase intake and exhaust velocity, and have it properly tuned! A cold air intake, and a free flowing exhaust helps some. A tune will optimize your air/fuel ratio for maximum efficiency.

All of this sounds like a great idea, but in reality, it is a high price to pay for a few more miles per gallon.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Along with the CAI and good flowing exhaust, removal of any parasitic losses to the engine (E-fans) and aerodynamic losses (Tonneau cover) will help mileage. I have gained 1-2 MPG just with E-fans, and 1-2 with the tonneau cover. Might also want to take a look at the air filter and MAF to see how clean they are, and check the plugs to see if they are warn. I usually change plugs every 2 years or 20,000 miles, whichever is first, and air filter annually.

You are doing the best thing with easy acceleration, which is free. Also, driving routes where you know the traffic flow and can keep the vehicle out of stop and go driving is a big help.

Last edited by AZ Mr. Bill; 02-26-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: reference to 2WD improvements, vehicle is a 4x4
Old 02-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by the limmo
I have a 2010 4x4 with a 36 gallon tank. With my 5.4L engine, I still drive it a luxury car. I'm curious about mods for mileage, rather than for power. This is really my dream vehicle, as I'm 6.5, 275lb and cars, suv's just don't do it....

Anyway... any suggestions? Thanks.
I know what you mean about not fitting very good. I'm 6'-7" and now 225lbs. Lost 75 lbs a couple of years ago. I do shoehorn myself into a Corolla because of the mileage and the fact that I drive over an hour one way each day to work.

Anyway, these guys will give you some ideas. Getting it tuned properly is supposed to give you an approximate 10% increase. That and driving slower and not gunning it.

Congrats on your truck.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 PM
2010s already have factory e-fans. anything you spend to save fuel will most likely take 5 years to pay off with savings in fuel. that is IF you gain anything. the most fuel saving is done by driving conservatively and keeping your vehicle maintained, tire pressures ect.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just let the good times roll and let MPG's take the back seat man.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Just let the good times roll and let MPG's take the back seat man.
x2. Generally any mods you do to increase mileage (tuner, CAI, exhaust) will more than likely cause you to have that foot down more since it's so much fun.

Forget the mileage.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 PM
^ its very true... got my cai to get better mpgs, gunned it everywhere to make it roar and make noise, got the exhaust so I wouldnt gun it everywhere... that didnt work. Lifted it to take offroad and fit bigger tires, lost more mileage.... spent money on a programmer that doesnt really do much for me apparently... but its fun

Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks All for the input!! Yes it does have two e-fans, and I have a Tonneau cover (also keeps the snow out). I'll keep her stock and just ride comfortably. I too hope to lose some of my 275, but my 225lb days are over!
Thanks again all!

Old 02-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by the limmo
I too hope to lose some of my 275, but my 225lb days are over!
Thanks again all!
That's what I thought until I got p.o.ed when I would get out of breath tying my shoes. Made a world of difference on the continual pain in my knees.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
2010s already have factory e-fans. anything you spend to save fuel will most likely take 5 years to pay off with savings in fuel. that is IF you gain anything. the most fuel saving is done by driving conservatively and keeping your vehicle maintained, tire pressures ect.
+1

the only true mod u can do is modify the way you drive in the end. having the 6spd transmission version helps a bit too. im a very conservative driver myself. it helps with the mileage quite a bit.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Just to add another opinion on the Tonneau covers. I'm a huge fan of the Myth Busters TV show. They have done two segments on MPG for pickup trucks and the many mods that people swear by incl mesh tailgates, tailgate down, Tonneau covers and standard tailgate up with no mods. In every single test the best MPG came from the standard tailgate up with no mods (not by much though). You would think that a Tonneau or lack of tailgate would decrease drag and improve mileage but that just didn't happen. The MPG with the old standby was better than any mod they put on the truck. I'm not a scientist but that convinced me to leave the bed alone. Here is their conclusion, "According to the experts, a circular pillow of air forms behind the cab of the truck when the tailgate is up. This "separated bubble"/"locked vortex flow" keep the faster moving air from contacting the truck, and thus reduces drag. With the tailgate down, the bubble breaks down and is no longer able to keep the fast moving air out, increasing drag.

In their scale model with the water tunnel, they were able to see that the increased drag. With the tailgate down, the particles in the water were dropping down and hitting the tailgate."

Quick Reply: Mods for improved mileage