Help with air intake part?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with air intake part?

Hey guys. Need some help. As I was turning on my street today, my truck suddenly died. I cranked it back up and continued to my house. I parked it the driveway and noticed it was running really rough and was shaking! I reved it up quite a bit for about a minute thinking I might have had some trash in the fuel injectors or something. The tach showed it surging going from 500 rpms to about 800 and back and forth. It has never done that before. Always stays at 650ish at idle. I pop the hood and notice my K&N cone just lying there, it had come off of the tube. I managed to get to back on but I really need a new part that it attaches to. I have a Airforce ONE CAI that I put a new K&N 4" cone on a month or so ago. What do you call the part that the filter attaches to?? Where can I get one?? It is a black piece and th efilter is on the right side and the tube of course is on the left. The MAF is in the middle. help---DirtySCREW

Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 PM

ANYONE>??????????????????????????????????------DirtySCREW

Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Dirty, take a pic. I bet that might help. Show the location where the part needs to go.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 PM

I'll try to do that tomorrow. but it is the part that attaches to the tube that goes to the TB and you put the cone filter on the other end. In other words what you put the filter on. The MAF is bolted down in the middle of this tube---DirtySCREW

Old 01-28-2010, 06:53 PM

here are some pics of my problem:

I need the part that bolts up to the MAF tube. My K&N Cone filter keeps coming off; partly because the piece in the picture is slightly bent and I feel it needs to be a tad longer---making more for the filter to clamp on. Please help---DirtySCREW

Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What's the maf filter mount made out of?
Plastic or metal?
If its metal did you try bending it back?
Make sure the inside of the rubber on the filter is free of oil residue.
Make sure the clamp isn't bottoming out or bent or burred.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 PM

Everything you see is plastic. I don't know how it got bent......previous owner probably did it. I need the part that bolts up to the MAF tube---DirtySCREW

Old 01-29-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Since its plastic:
Ever thought of using a filler and filling it in so its back to round on the outside?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If that was the original AFI MAF<--> filter adapter/coupler, you can try contacting someone who used to sell same to see if they have, or can source, a spare. Troyer Performance used to supply these.

Another idea - try contacting K&N's support folks to see if you can buy just that part number from one of their CAI kits - it should pretty standard since the MAF determines the dimensions on one side, and the K&N on the other....

Oh - when you take it off, don't lose or damamge that o-ring

Good luck.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Find a fab shop that can make you a steel flange and weld a piece of exhaust pipe to it to mount the filter. We do it all the time where I work to make radiator flanges for old industrial engines that are rotted out that they don't make any more or are just way too expensive to buy.

Quick Reply: Help with air intake part?