Reconnect exhaust to manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reconnect exhaust to manifold

On my 97 f150 the two bolts and nuts that hold the exhaust piping to the manifold rusted out on me, and I got a loud surprise when I started my truck today. Can I just replace those two bolts that connect the manifold to exhaust, or were those a part of the manifold? (I can't tell if the bolts were part of the manifold or if they are just so rusted on that I am going to have to drill them out).

Old 06-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, you can replace them, i may actually have some leftover from my truck, if you are interested... i can give them to you for free if you are willing to pay me for shipping...

Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Yeah I might be interested, I was just going to buy some stainless steel bolts to replace them, but Im not sure what works better. But before I do that I have to try and get a drill in there to drill out those rusted bastards that are still in the manifold. Any ideas on what to use or how to get the drill in there where there is enough clearance. I was just going to use a metal drill bit and an air drill, but looking at it I think that may be a little difficult. Im am trying to do this without taking off the exhast piping or the manifold. And if anyone knows any tricks on how to get them out without drilling, let me know.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:21 PM
manifolds etc.

O.K. here is what happened to mine...I have a 97 4.6L. First is what you are experiencing, rusted out little bastards that hold the flange to the manifold...I WAS able to get in there and drill through the manifold and used hardened bolts and nuts etc. to re-secure, AFTER removing the exhaust and dropping it out of the way. BUT and heres the bitch of it all, I can almost guarantee that shortly after that the manifold studs (into the cylinder head) will break on the rear cylinders. It took mine like 2-3 months. So here is what i suggest... go buy new manifolds or headers ( I used cast manifolds, I think 150.00) tear it all out and start over, and I further suggest to replace the cats, Y-pipe and the whole damn thing. If you want to do it once go this route. It's been almost 2 yrs. and I now have to tear it out again due to hole in one cat.... that makes the 3rd *******ing time!

The studs for the flange are screwed into the manifolds but I doubt you will get them out.

The studs into the cylinder heads came out pretty easy, even the broken ones... I used a right angle drill and an easy out. I bought new manifold studs at the dealer.

I also used a small dremel type tool to cut the nuts off the 16 studs as access is horrible to get wrenches into, and they were rusted almost beyond getting a wrench on 'em.

GOOD LUCK!!! It took me about 2 days, and alot of cussing....but probably saved 500 to 1000 $$$

If you have any questions shoot me an e-mail.

Quick Reply: Reconnect exhaust to manifold