Cat back vs. muffler and tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat back vs. muffler and tips

I am trying to decide wich way to go. I think I am going to go with magnaflow, but what really is the difference with cat back kit and going to the muffler shop and having them custom bend the pipe. I know that the kits come with stainless pipes but is that really it. I cant say that I would really even need stainless pipes here in Texas. Is there a difference in performance?

What muffler and tips come with the Magnaflow kit 16614?

What muffler would be the best choice if I want to increase my HP and MPG. I want some sound when I stomp on it but dont really want to here much when cruising on the highway.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:16 PM
The kits also come with Mandrel Bent Pipes. Most custom shops will just use a compression bender. The mandrel bend leaves no creasing or squished places in the pipe as with compression bending. They say better performance and better sound.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by 2005lariatky
The kits also come with Mandrel Bent Pipes. Most custom shops will just use a compression bender. The mandrel bend leaves no creasing or squished places in the pipe as with compression bending. They say better performance and better sound.
----sorry to hijack but this may help you too. i see you have a 40 series flowmaster. how is the inside noise while cruising the highway? i love the 40 series sound but i dont want to mess with noise inside while highway driving. in the city or short trips i could care less.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by eastcoastzigzag
----sorry to hijack but this may help you too. i see you have a 40 series flowmaster. how is the inside noise while cruising the highway? i love the 40 series sound but i dont want to mess with noise inside while highway driving. in the city or short trips i could care less.
You can hear it but it is a Super 40. It is supposed to be a little quieter in the cab than the original 40. At 70mph and the radio on you can barely hear it. I had true dual original 40's on a 87 Monte Carlo SS and it was loud as hell inside. I like to hear the tone inside so tt doesn't bother me. My fiance doesn't seem to mind the truck either. She hated the exhaust on the Monte.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Does anyone have anything else to add?

Can anyone help me with the parts that come with the kit?

Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
I think I would just buy a Magnaflow universal muffler to fit your need and have a good muffler shop weld it in for you. Get a nice 3" diameter by 12" long stainless, angle cut tip. Have them both welded in and you are all done. Or,if you want duals,buy a single in dual out and have the shop fab it.I did this on my 2005 and I love the sound. Why scrap the whole 2 year old catback sysytem when you can plug and play.......

Quick Reply: Cat back vs. muffler and tips