I have a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I have a problem...

Yesterday, I put an air intake system on my truck. When I start up my truck the RPM goes very low and it sounds like the engine is going to die. Today when I was driving around, I pulled up to a stop light and the RPM went very low again then the truck shut off. What is causing this to happen? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:03 AM
What brand CAI?

Old 07-07-2007, 03:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure your vacumn lines are hooked up correctly. also make sure that your m.a.f wiring harness is hooked up. the one attached to that support plate that the old airbox sat on top of. you had to unplug that to put the m.a.f on the new intake so... out of site out of mind.... i went crazy for 2 days trying to figure out what the hell was wrong. i felt like an *** after i saw that unplugged lol

Last edited by keith97xlt; 07-07-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
make sure your vacumn lines are hooked up correctly. also make sure that your m.a.f wiring harness is hooked up. the one attached to that support plate that the old airbox sat on top of. you had to unplug that to put the m.a.f on the new intake so... out of site out of mind.... i went crazy for 2 days trying to figure out what the hell was wrong. i felt like an *** after i saw that unplugged lol
x2..

and also make sure that the MAF is in the same position as it was with your stock intake, i.e., if it was mounted facing the radiator, facing the cab, facing the hood.. it needs to be in the same position on your aftermarket intake. Hope that helps!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:06 PM
That may be the problem. I turned the MAF over so it would fit better but I didn't think that would affect anything. I'll go right now and change it back to how it was and let you know iff that worked. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure the maf is plugged in, and check for vacuum lines unconnected

Old 07-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I turned the MAF sensor the same way it was when I took it out and now everything seems to be working fine. I double checked the vacuum lines and made sure all the wires were plugged in so hopefully everything is fixed now. Thanks for all your help.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
pics??????????????????????

Old 07-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by 1997BigRed
I turned the MAF sensor the same way it was when I took it out and now everything seems to be working fine. I double checked the vacuum lines and made sure all the wires were plugged in so hopefully everything is fixed now. Thanks for all your help.
Cool! I can't explain why the MAF needs to be in the same position as stock, others here could.. It just seems to affect the readings it gets.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

when i first installed my K&N, for the first day i had lower RPMs at idle and on startup, i was somewhat concerned but it was just the PCM adjusting to the new airflow. after the first day or two everything was normal again. when you put new air intakes on, your truck's computer needs to "learn" how it runs for a bit. but if your RPMs are so low that the engine shuts off then its probably something else...

Old 07-09-2007, 02:49 AM
the RPM at idle is better now than it was before and i talked to a friend of mine that works at a body shop down the road and he said that when you put and air intake on the RPM will be lower at idle since the engine is breathing easier now. i think this intake may make my gas mileage worse for awhile cause i love hearing the way my truck sounds now when i sink the pedal down

Quick Reply: I have a problem...