intake kit -- chip needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake kit -- chip needed?

I was reading the other day and saw the guy from Troyer Performance or whatever saying that if you install an intake kit such as the K&N FIPK, that you need to add the chip or reprogram the computer or else you will run lean...

Just curious how that would happen if the sensors are measuring the amount of air that's coming in and adjusting for it as it is...

Also, has anyone installed just an intake kit without adding a tuner and put a decent number of miles on without anything adverse happening?

Old 04-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
I was reading the other day and saw the guy from Troyer Performance or whatever saying that if you install an intake kit such as the K&N FIPK, that you need to add the chip or reprogram the computer or else you will run lean...

Just curious how that would happen if the sensors are measuring the amount of air that's coming in and adjusting for it as it is...

Also, has anyone installed just an intake kit without adding a tuner and put a decent number of miles on without anything adverse happening?
Hi - you really need to (a) Search for this info -as it's been answered many many times - e.g.: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=17

And/or (b): call TP to get a definitive detailed response you cannot refute.

In a nutshell - the PCM cannot correct for an aftermarket intake that deviates from the stock hard-coded TF in the PCM...

Not a good idea to ignore this attribute - it will incur risk ...

Old 04-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Installed an AF1 intake yesterday, have about 150 miles on it so far, no CEL or anything abnormal.. I think it depends on what size intake diameter whether you would need to tune it.. I'm sure you'll get responses from some members with much more knowledge than I have..

Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
call TP to get a definitive detailed response you cannot refute.
So I should call TP and ask him if he knows anyone who has installed an aftermarket intake and put some decent mileage on their truck without any adverse effects?

I searched and found a good bit of stuff, but I want to hear experiences from every day folks...not someone who owns a company and wants to sell a product...no offense.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:57 AM
So I should call TP and ask him if he knows anyone who has installed an aftermarket intake and put some decent mileage on their truck without any adverse effects?

I searched and found a good bit of stuff, but I want to hear experiences from every day folks...not someone who owns a company and wants to sell a product...no offense.
None taken ...

However, be aware that 'everyday experiences' may be irrelevant - not all lean conditions set a CEL/code. In other words folks running various & sundry intakes, including home-made ones on 04+ trucks may in fact be at risk & never know it. That's not gonna help you very much, is it?

This is explained if you search as well... and also you will already find more than a few posts where folks have discovered, much to their chagrin, that the problem is real after all.

A call will explain the underlying causalities better than anyone else on here could ever do - still the best advice I can give you.

Don't worry - he will dispense honest advice without trying to sell you anything - he does that here all the time...

Search. Call. Or do nothing. Believe what you want. Does not matter to me.

No offense.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Bubba, the next obvious question would be as such.. I've installed an aftermarket intake, I do not get a CEL indicator, how would I tell if I'm now running in a lean condition?.. It will be a couple of months before I can put myself on the waiting list for an Xcal2, am I unwittingly wrecking the engine?.. 'Cause this af1 and borla are making me.. MAKING ME!!.. stomp that thing to the floor just for the kicks.. .. is there a way to tell a lean running?.. I have no knocking, pinging, dieseling, etc.. Thanks!!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
Bubba, the next obvious question would be as such.. I've installed an aftermarket intake, I do not get a CEL indicator, how would I tell if I'm now running in a lean condition?.. It will be a couple of months before I can put myself on the waiting list for an Xcal2, am I unwittingly wrecking the engine?.. 'Cause this af1 and borla are making me.. MAKING ME!!.. stomp that thing to the floor just for the kicks.. .. is there a way to tell a lean running?.. I have no knocking, pinging, dieseling, etc.. Thanks!!
Hey Tex.

That's the thing - you really can't unless the PCM decides it's gonna tell you by way of a CEL. Some folks here have gone as high as 15:1 (and even leaner) with no indication - despite the PCM commanding a much richer A/F - with the STOCK intake! (Open-loop operation).

It's an very real & unfortunate situation for those trucks affected. Adding an after market intake that has not been definitely tested to be 'safe' just compounds the complexity of the issue. Note here as well that not all aftermarket manufacturers acknowledge this - and advertise just the opposite, while independent testing shows otherwise.

Bottom line - You really cannot tell, barring an obvious warning by the PCM, unless it is measured in a controlled fashion.

Not being an alarmist - just passing along evidence & facts as discussed/presented previously by acknowledged experts in this field - posted literally dozens of times. And a lot of research from other sources.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 AM
15:1 doesn't sound all that bad to me really...isn't optimal 14.7:1? What if you monitored the o2 sensors before with a Ford scan tool, then monitored them after the intake and didn't see a difference?

Is this a problem that is only affecting our 5.4's or is this across the entire automotive board when it comes to intakes? I've never heard of this before and I've been around vehicles my whole life pretty much in one way or another.

Either way, I think you pretty much have me talked out of getting an intake -- at least until I can afford a tuner too.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:33 AM
15:1 doesn't sound all that bad to me really...isn't optimal 14.7:1? What if you monitored the o2 sensors before with a Ford scan tool, then monitored them after the intake and didn't see a difference?

Is this a problem that is only affecting our 5.4's or is this across the entire automotive board when it comes to intakes? I've never heard of this before and I've been around vehicles my whole life pretty much in one way or another.

Either way, I think you pretty much have me talked out of getting an intake -- at least until I can afford a tuner too.
That's 15:1 in open loop, when the PCM was commanding 11:1 or 12:1 !

Stioic only matters in closed loop.

Not my intention to talk you out of anything - just to choose an intake carefully after doing the homework. You can safely run a 3" AF1, Airraid, or 'new' S&B from all indications ...

Old 04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Ok, here is a intake/tuner question. I have an airaid jr and the edge. It is my understanding that since the jr uses the stock air box, a lean condition should be avoided. Is this correct? By the way, just installed the edge and it is really nice. Running lev. 2 until empty, then lev. 3. Boy, in the old days, we were talking points, plug, condenser, timimg, etc. Now a push of the button. One wonders if this may be the end of tuning for my sled! Xcal....or dare I say "blower"... only the check book knows for sure...

Old 04-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by James321
Ok, here is a intake/tuner question. I have an airaid jr and the edge. It is my understanding that since the jr uses the stock air box, a lean condition should be avoided. Is this correct? By the way, just installed the edge and it is really nice. Running lev. 2 until empty, then lev. 3. Boy, in the old days, we were talking points, plug, condenser, timimg, etc. Now a push of the button. One wonders if this may be the end of tuning for my sled! Xcal....or dare I say "blower"... only the check book knows for sure...
AR Jr. / MIT is one of the less 'invasive' alternatives to a full-on CAI. You should *probably* be okay. But - there has been some discussion regarding even minor changes to the factory tube...

Same caveats apply though, as posted previously - (a): if no other issues are in 'play'; (b): cannot know with 100% certainty without measurements on your specific truck.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I just got the full Airaid kit in the mail and their throttle body spacer(not sure if I am going to use). I am running the 87 octane program out of a SCT SF9415, the Xcal with canned tunes. I am getting ready to order Troyer custom tunes and am wondering whether I should wait for the custom tunes or if I should go ahead and put the intake on. Obviously, I don't want to do anything that will damage the engine, but I don't want to wait on the custom tunes if it isn't necessary. Any input is appreciated!

Old 04-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by cmhealy
I just got the full Airaid kit in the mail and their throttle body spacer(not sure if I am going to use). I am running the 87 octane program out of a SCT SF9415, the Xcal with canned tunes. I am getting ready to order Troyer custom tunes and am wondering whether I should wait for the custom tunes or if I should go ahead and put the intake on. Obviously, I don't want to do anything that will damage the engine, but I don't want to wait on the custom tunes if it isn't necessary. Any input is appreciated!
Hi - I think the full Airraid is one of the safe ones, IIRC - I would, however, still give TP a call to check for sure if they have any *new* MAF TF function optimizations that they would prefer you to use with a custom tune...

BTW - is there a list of intakes in the user settings area on the SF? I thought the unit came with some of the more common intake 'tweaks' - just curious.

Thanks

Old 04-02-2007, 03:18 PM
The only intake option they list is the JLT. I am going to check and see if that has been updated in any of the updates as my unit is older. Good idea!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I put the JLT intake in my 2007 F-150 Supercrew this afternoon. My truck used to drink from a carefully folded straw; now it really gulps the stuff down. I'd guess the factory programmed ecu to be excessively conservative, with a moderate threshold for the volume of air coming in, maybe that is why it won't match with enough fuel and run lean. Whatever the case I followed the recommendations of others and used the Xcal to load a custom tune.

Quick Reply: intake kit -- chip needed?