S&B Intake Review! - HOLY SMOKES!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S&B Intake Review! - HOLY SMOKES!

Well I got my S&B intake today, I open the box and read over the install. I took the truck to the garage and got started with the install. Easy to read and understand directions for installation. Much better then the K&N 77 Series install instructions for the 05' 4.6L v8. After about 45 minutes I am finally done, would have been quicker but I double checked everything to be sure everything was tight and fitted correctly. As with everything somethings were a tight fit and had to be loosened and adjusted then retightened. But overall the install was pretty quick and easy.

Anyway, I get done and close the hood....I figure a test drive to the car wash and back would be a good trip. I take off and notice it's fairly quiet if you ease up to speed....but after getting up to around 40mph I really put my foot into and the intake comes alive. It has a great sound under acceleration and you could really feel the difference from the edge/exhaust to the edge/exhaust/intake. The truck really has some get up and go after the install of the three performance parts and I can't be happier. No CEL, and no issues so far. I will probaly go over everything one more time and make sure everything is ok and tight tomrrow. Just as to be sure....but all in all I'm ready for the lift. My truck has some giddy-up now for 35 grapplers.

If anyone is on the fence about ordering a intake, do not wait to pull the trigger on this intake. I know Stealth has been thinking of buying one of these, and trust me....you should definetly do so. You will not be disappointed.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:49 PM
A real good pic after the install...

Old 02-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Couldn't be happier with the sound, performance, and appearence of this intake kit.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM
You won't be disappointed with the S&B intake...

**If you have any problems viewing the pic's just click the camera on the top left of my post and they are in my gallery under the new 06' truck.**

Old 02-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Very nice, thanks for the pics.

I really like that clear cover. Pretty sharp.

Rough idea how big the diameter of the intake into the fenderwell is?

Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
i'm getting a little ill about waiting on mine, i ordered it last week, then found out they were still testing them and it wouldn't be shipped out NO LATER than today, and i've still not recieved a tracking number.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 PM
I believe it is a 3.5" hole going into the fender well. There is also a huge opening on the front of the box behind the headlight. The filter is also similar to the velocity type filters made for atv's. Instead of a boxed end, the filter has inset with more filter media directed towards the hole in the fenderwell.

Overall I am very pleased with this intake. I was sorta wondering about the gains with a closed box system, but I am very happy with the S&B.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
What's the P/N of the kit you installed?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
75-5016 from Sbfilters.com

Old 02-27-2007, 05:44 PM
those s&b's look damn good. might have to pony up and get one. just wish we had some hp numbers to compair other intakes.. not like 4-5 hp is gonna make a difference with the weight of our trucks though.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was going to do a dyno comparison on my truck between my AF1 and the new S/B this weekend at MikeT's but we ran out of time...The only thing I question is the down sizing of the intake tube where it flattens out at the MAF location.....Maybe next time....

Old 02-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I really think it's all about what you like anyway....I don't really see how it there could be a huge difference in hp. The SB intake was what I liked the best, and the results have been more then what I could have hoped for. I'm happy and that's really what matters.

As for everyone looking and thinking about pulling the trigger....if you really like the appearence and all of this intake then get it because the performance is there.

Edit: I was really looking forward to that comparison....maybe some other time.

Last edited by kingofkings; 02-27-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:13 PM
What does it sound like when you get on the gas? Does it sound like a small super charger or turbo sound? If so that would be really cool and make me want to get one even more

Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 PM
It has a deep roar type sound to it. Not a whistle, but a deep droan/hum noise. I like it, it definetly sounds meaner then the last intake I had on my other truck.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:08 AM
Exclamation Replace Your Coupler If You Have Not Already

Hello all,

I also have the 70-5016 as shown in this review, the rubber coupler failed on me. This is the result of using their rubber coupler:

I took a look at the coupler in this review, it looks like it's using the older type rubber coupler, the same as the one I had.

My F-150 took in raw, nasty, unfiltered air for some time until I got Check Engine lights come on. The engine was stauling while driving as well.

From my research, it looks like S&B switched to a newer coupler that is not a cheap rubber and is reinforced. That is what the new one looks like that S&B sent me:

I hope this helps S&B owners out there who installed this some time ago and had this rubber coupler so you don't experience the same problems I had.

Contact S&B and ask them to send you the newer coupler to replace the cheap rubber coupler if you also have it.

You can read my experience and review on Amazon here:
Amazon Amazon

-Jason

Last edited by jasonmadruga84; 10-26-2017 at 12:11 AM. Reason: resize coupler image

Quick Reply: S&B Intake Review! - HOLY SMOKES!