If Gibson is too quiet and Magnaflow is too loud what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Gibson is too quiet and Magnaflow is too loud what should I get?

Ive been trying pick out an exhaust that isnt going to be so quiet that I dont hear it and something that isnt too loud that I wont beable to get an inspection sticker. Maine has one of the toughest exhaust laws. If the exhaust is aftermarket, the inspection station doesnt have to give you a sticker. It doesnt matter if it is above or below the legal decibel level and if it is installed correctly.

I had a really difficult time with my Subaru getting a sticker and I dont want to go thru this again. So, Ive narrowed my choices down to the following:

Corsa side exit
Gibson side exit
Borla side exit

All are SI/SO. Cost is a bit of a factor. The Corsa is my favorite but even on Ebay it will cost me 660.00. Ive spent almost 1000.00 before on a SS exhaust but I really dont want to do it again. The Borla and Gibson are around the same cost give or take a few bucks. Any suggestions? I currently have an Air Force 1 intake and a Superchips 1714. I dont know if those mods will make a huge difference or not..

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:55 PM
magnaflow isnt even loud. i am running true duals with no converters. thats loud. with converters i didnt even think it was that loud. get the magnaflow

Old 06-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Magnaflow has mufflers in three different lengths. 14", 18", and 24". The smaller the muffler, the louder it is. The bigger, the quieter.

I have the 18" si/do Magnaflow. It has a nice rumble at idle, sounds nice and throaty through the lower gears, and the sound mellows out at highway cruising speeds. In fact, it's just ever so slightly louder than stock while cruising. And there is no cabin drone...ever. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:31 PM
peacemaker, would you say the sound is obtrusive in the lower gears? Would it sound similar to a Dodge ram?

Old 06-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Nope. Dodge has a sound all it's own. I can have my back turned to the road and tell you if a Dodge is coming by.j/k.

IMO, I would say my 18" Magnaflow muffler is not obtrusive in the lower gears. It has a smooth deep rumble that doesn't sound muffled like Gibson and Flowmaster. It's a straight through muffler, so you get a more "original" sound.

Flowmaster has it's own sound and many different choices, but they all sound muffled because their baffled. Gibson exhausts are kind of on the quiet side unless you get the Super Truck cat-back which is the loudest they make. The Sweptside is the quietest, and the others are somewhere in the middle soundwise. And they are baffled also.

The 14" Magnaflow will produce a more obtrusive sound in the lower gears, simply because it's smaller and louder. But that's why they make different sizes...for different sound levels.

smaller the muffler = louder
bigger the muffler = quieter

Bigger tips make your exhaust rumble more.

Hope I helped.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks Peacemaker for the help..Seems like everyone on here is a Magnaflow user. I didnt think this was going to be such a pain to decide on.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Flowmaster 50 series is great for what you are looking for. It makes basically no noise in cab, and sounds great behind the truck

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-2006, 10:44 PM
98Navi, I was thinking of going this route but read alot of droning complaints.. I think Ive decided to stay away from Flowmaster anyways..Im not a huge fan of the muffler design. I did see on they're website that they have re-issued their 2 chamber mufflers. Reminds me of my 97 Cobra. Pretty cool to see the originals come back.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Have you considered JBA's cat-back??

Old 06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by ChappyFX4
98Navi, I was thinking of going this route but read alot of droning complaints.. I think Ive decided to stay away from Flowmaster anyways..Im not a huge fan of the muffler design. I did see on they're website that they have re-issued their 2 chamber mufflers. Reminds me of my 97 Cobra. Pretty cool to see the originals come back.
You won't get any droning from the 50 series. Its designed to be for *sporty* SUV's and the like. Make sure you get the one with Deltaflow technology and you're set!

Old 06-27-2006, 05:25 PM
I also live in maine chappyfx4. but in my area it is not hard to get a sticker at all. most of my friends run straight pipes on there truck and those are superdutys. Depending on were you are i wouldn't worry to much about it! and if all you are doing is lookin for noise why don't you just have your local muffler shop make you one. I had mine done on my old truck for 220$ and it was louder than any magnaflow or flowmaster i ever heard. I know everyone on here swears by the magnaflow system and i am not puting it down because i have never had one before, but 660$ for an exhaust is outrages!! just my two cents!

Old 06-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by flashbang756
Have you considered JBA's cat-back??
JBA is one of the best out there in fit, finish, performance, and tone

Old 06-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. Ive decided to go with a Borla system. I got one off ebay for around 550 shipped. Seemed like a good deal. Cheaper than the Corsa and from what Ive read here, it should give me exactly what Im looking for.

I read up on the JBA system but I had a hard time finding a good price on one. It seems like they dont sell on ebay too often.

Thanks again everyone. I'll be sure to post up a review of the Borla system.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by ChappyFX4
Thanks guys for all the input. Ive decided to go with a Borla system. I got one off ebay for around 550 shipped. Seemed like a good deal. Cheaper than the Corsa and from what Ive read here, it should give me exactly what Im looking for.

I read up on the JBA system but I had a hard time finding a good price on one. It seems like they dont sell on ebay too often.

Thanks again everyone. I'll be sure to post up a review of the Borla system.
Congrats on the decision. Let us know what you think when you get it installed!

Old 06-28-2006, 06:11 PM
from what i've read and the people i've talked to though corsa is the way to go. definitely let us know you're opinion when you get it.

Quick Reply: If Gibson is too quiet and Magnaflow is too loud what should I get?