The Dreaded Drone

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dreaded Drone

Need advice. Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Just bought Magnaflow SI/SO cat-back system from Troyer as part of Stage One performance pkg and had professional install it.
System sounds great except when rpm between 1800-2100 which is where the dreaded cabin drone rears its ugly head.
At highway cruising speeds, drone is loud enough to interfere with conversation and/or radio.
Anita at Troyer is talking w/ Magnaflow...they suggested 24" vs 18" muffler.
Installer suggested adding a resonator, if he can find a suitable stainless one.
Chose Magnaflow after reading helpful posts here and positive comments re low noise of MF versus other systems.
Have had to put new chip that Mike is programming on hold since exhaust setup may change (modified to reduce drone or switch back to stock...ugh).
Anyone have other suggestions to reduce/remove drone other than changing to another system or returning to stock?
Anyone else have this problem with Magnaflows?

Old 05-21-2005, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll probably want to check out a Gibson muffler. They flow like a Magnaflow and sound about stock (maybe a little deeper).

Last edited by fourpointsix; 05-21-2005 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

hey im fixin to install a 24" muff with my cat back either today or tomorrow. i can let you know how i like it. i dont want any drone as well.

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Drone