Gibson Performance Exhaust Systems (Reposted)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gibson Performance Exhaust Systems (Reposted)

I had posted this in the f150 section but now I am bringing it into the proper place I guess. Not exactly sure where to put it... sorry

Recently I have been putting a lot of thought and consideration into addding a dual exhaust system into my truck. I have decided on adding a exhaust system on my truck for several reasons. I was looking for something to fit my budget and something that would not only add power, but also add a good look. I have been searching around and have found out that I like the gibson exhaust systems. I was wondering what you guys thought about them, and of the ones i am going to list which you guys like best. I'll first tell you the goals for my truck. I plan on making it into a race type truck (you all might laugh). I have an 04 5.4L v8 Lariat Supercab 4x4. So here has what I looked at. Whiile browsing the Gibson website I noticed that with all the exhaust systems it says that they will not void the factory warranty. I am not sure if this is true, so I am going to have to call and ask. Out of the exhaust systems I really like the Super Truck Exhaust yet I dont know if it would look good on my truck.

http://www.gibsonperformance.com/products.asp?pid=14294

It costs between $310 - $365 for the parts depending if you want it stainless or aluminized. I'd probably go with the stainless. Th e benefits for this exhaust system is that it adds on average 10-15hp and 15-20lb of tq. The only reason I am not sure about this exhaust system is because of the look and not knowing if it will fit the look of my truck. Eventhough I know the noise will

Another exhaust system I am looking at is the Split Rear Exhaust System.

http://www.gibsonperformance.com/products.asp?pid=17692

It costs between $375 - $510 depending on if you want it stainless or not. The benefits of this system is that it will add about 15-20hp. The only problem with it is that it may cause problems with the spare tire because of the location. I am not sure if this is my number one choice.

The last exhaust system I was looking at was the Extreme Dual Exhaust system.

http://www.gibsonperformance.com/products.asp?pid=14296

It costs between $375 - $510 depending on if you want it stainless or not. I just like the over all look to this exhaust system eventhough it does not list how much horse power it will add.

There you have my three choices. I really like my first choice with the Super Truck Exhaust because of the horse power and sound it is going to add. I am just not positive if it will look good on my truck. Please give me any suggestions or comments about the exhaust systems. Also does anyone know how much my dealership would charge me if i were to insall the Super Truck Exhaust system? I will argue to them about how much I can get my parts for, but I am not sure how much labor will be.

Basically I want a dual exhaust system that looks really cool, while adding performance and also a loud rumble. Something to give me that beefy race feeling. Maybe the Super Truck Exhaust Provides this. Give me some suggestions

As a side question, If i were to race this truck in the future what exhaust system would you put on it? Would it be dual?

Thanks

Last edited by Ford Man Dan; 01-12-2005 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:26 AM
I was about to post something similier....I want a good performance exhaust....I've read good things about Gibson....One forum member said he didn't notice a difference between Magnaflow and Gibson, but said Gibson far out performed Flowmaster. With the money I can save on buying the Gibson Exhaust I can put it toward an air intake system.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Come on....do we have some Gibson Owners in the house?

Old 01-13-2005, 04:01 PM
OK, OK...I have a "Swept Side" exhaust system from Gibson on my '02 King Ranch 4X4. The reason I went with the Swept side, was, just about every other system, especially duals out the rear, required re-locating the spare tire. I was very impressed with the Gibson system, and did it myself in about 3 hours. The only concern I have is the 2 1/2" clamp needs to be a HD one, everything else is fine. This system is not very loud, not much different than stock really, until you step on it, then you hear it. I went with the stainless for the lifetime warranty. Hey, when you're old & disabled, you don't want to keep crawling under the truck to fix stuff!

good luck

Old 01-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Reading posts concerning exhaust systems, and checking other web sites, I was leaning towards the Gibson single side. However, Gibson claims a 15-25 HP gain, but my local exhaust shop and my Ford service dept. tell me to save my money, I would get no noticeable gains. The only way to get a 'noticeable' gain in power is with a performance chip. But who wants to burn jet fuel with the unstable prices today? Gibson or no?

Old 01-16-2005, 01:57 PM
well to tell you the truth.. on a stock truck, the gibson will make very LITTLE differance when added. but thats not saying you dont need it. Most larger performance parts REQUIRE a freer flowing exhaust. when exhaust is paired up with an air intake and even a tuner, the gains are more then your expecting. so yes i would get an exhaust, if your going for the racer truck theme ditch the spare...weight savings! or put it in the box if you have a cover and chain it with a lock to a tie down latch. so if your going to do any modifying to the truck i would get the exhaust now so that you have it for the future. i had a flowmaster system put on with no change (cept sound) and even an intake added with no real differance, then i put on a superchips 1715 and it is great! makes a ton more power and now im looking in to e fans, pullies, and the custom tune! hope this helps good luck.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:16 PM
When you say that the swept side exhaust doesnt sound much different than stock until you step on it, do you mean step on it like "lay the hammer down", or "anything over idle" Im considering buying that same exhaust, but i at least want to be able to tell a noticeable difference. Thanks

Old 01-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Hey--long time listener first time caller. I bought a Gibson 9515 Supertruck exhaust for my '97 F150 supercab 4x4 4.6 back in Aug, 2003. Installed in about an hour. Went on easy fit good, sounds good. Seat of the pants told me it had a better bottom end torquewise. Does drone down the highway though. Well, in November 2004, I started hearing a squeak under the truck, took a look and found the front of the muffler cracked about 3/4's of the way around the inlet pipe. I emailed Gibson twice and got no response, so I welded it back together after I took some digital pix. Well yesterday it broke through all the way. Now I have a useless $300 exhaust. that is less than a year and a half old. I have emailed Gibson again to see if they will honor their 'warranty'. For now I'm going to fit up a glass pack, costs only 10% of the Gibson unit! Will keep you posted if Gibson contacts me this time. email me and I will send you a picture. So far I can't say that I'm sold on the Gibson Supertruck exhaust.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Jeeperforlife
When you say that the swept side exhaust doesnt sound much different than stock until you step on it, do you mean step on it like "lay the hammer down", or "anything over idle" Im considering buying that same exhaust, but i at least want to be able to tell a noticeable difference. Thanks
Sorry, I should have been more specific...it's not much louder at idle, only slightly louder above idle, but you CAN hear it when you step on it. Going down the highway, you can hear it, but it's not loud by any means. I should have also said that I had a K&N FIPK system, and have a NOTICEABLE improvement in acceleration. I really didn't want a "Race" sounding truck, just better flow, and it has done that! Hope this helps...Good Luck

Old 01-18-2005, 09:59 PM
If your just going for the look why not just buy the Gibson tips and have an exhaust shop run some pipe or pipes to the same location? , it should be alot cheaper if you can have it done that way. One of my big considerations about an exhaust setup is the sound. Sometimes an aftermarket exhaust can hurt power more than help, particularly the low end.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Update on the Gibson Supertruck exhaust. I did not mention that the Gibson 9515 is an aluminized exhaust, SIDO in front of the tire. I called then emailed Gibson today and received a call about an hour later. The lady on the phone was very courteous and a straight shooter. I was told that Gibson does NOT recommend the aluminized exhaust for any state except California. If I had bought the stainless exhaust, I would not have had this problem. I can return the exhaust at my expense($23 via UPS), add a check for $100, and they would look at it. I might get my $100 back, but the lady said it wasn't likely. I told her that I didn't think spending another $100 on something that will last just over a year was acceptable. I'm gonna cut my losses. I put a 24" glasspack on, welded it to my original tailpipe, and it sounds great! Runs real good too. REMEMBER THIS--IF YOUR GOING TO BUY A PREMIUM EXHAUST SYSTEM, BUY STAINLESS OR IT WON'T LAST.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:23 AM
I had the Super Truck for almost 5yrs on a 5.4 2000 supercab and love the sound and looks but the POS has broke 3 times on the inlet side of the muffler. For $300+ I think the quality could be better. It appears the muffler is made of pretty thin material and can't handle much stress in that area. Which, by the way, the ST doesn't have much support.

Installation was rather easy, getting the old pipe off was a diiferent story. Thank goodness for reciporcating saws.

Great sound, I hate to give it up but I'm not sure how much longer she'll hold together and I'll sure as heck not buy another.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Just wondering where I can find the best price on the supertruck setup? Any ideas? The best i've found it for was around 349 stainless steel.... 309 with aluminum... Does Troyer Performance have anything to say about this setup? I'm excited to throw this on with an xcalibrator and an air force 1.... hoooooo boy

Old 01-26-2005, 06:23 PM
buuuuuump

Quick Reply: Gibson Performance Exhaust Systems (Reposted)