Help with exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with exhaust options

Hey Guys,

I have a question about what type of exhaust system I should install for my truck!

I have an 04 F150 S Cab 4.6L

I am dealing with my local muffler shop on installing my exhaust system.

Originally, I told him that I wanted dual pipes and dual magnaflow mufflers from collector to tips. He gave me a quote of $250. That is with him using 2.25" aluminized pipe, exiting out the passenger side , in front of the tire.

But, I have been thinking that I may be just as well off to go with a SI/DO Magnaflow muffler and save the cash for other mods that I want.

If I do this, what effect will it have to adding other mods, like a..cold air intake, electronic tuners,...etc...etc.

Will, these other mods NEED that true dual exhaust, or is it a waste of money?

Thanks,
KBL

Old 01-06-2005, 05:18 PM
If dealing with a local shop, I would probably pick up a Flowmaster, or other aftermarket performance muffler. Most of your auto parts store would carry some type of these. We have Merit also known as AP or Goerlich, they make a performance muffler called xcelerator. If your local store has walker go with a dynomax. I would use a 17220 dynomax or an X103 in xcelerator. Both are 3" in and out centered.

i would have the shop use 2.75 tube for the front or intermediate pipe and then 3 for the tail, making it hang from the stock hangers. if you wanted to he could probably get you 3" stainless tube.

i am not conviced that 2 tailpipes are better then one, just more costly and a PITA.

i only suggest the 2.75 pipe because it will help with keeping the low end, I had a whole 3" dynomax on my 99 with a 4.6 and it hurt the low end, but was a whole different vehicle after about 2600 rpms.

if you wanted to buy a whole stick of 3" stainless, probably $100-125.00 range and use all 3' then i would use the Dynomax 17673, as it does not flow as much as the other number thus keeping a little more backpressure.

i can't recall what number flowmaster i used on my past trucks, but I'm sure someone can help with that.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the info!

I am more interested to know which of the two systems I described would be more beneficial, if planning on installing future performance mods later on down the road.

Will a dual exhaust system be worth the extra money, or is it just a waste?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2005, 07:06 AM
I believe that you would be better off going with a single, the dual setups that are being used today usually just split after the cats, so you are really only using a single exhaust until that point. Dual tailpipes look nice with a couple of 3.5 or 4" tips coming out the back, but that is about all they have to offer.

If your future mods include anything more than the normal, intake and tuner, go single and use the extra to put toward one of your future mods.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:00 PM
shtrdave,

Thanks, I appreciate your help and advise. Tuesday is the day, I have to talk to my muffler man today and update him on the changes I wanna make.

Thanks Again!!!

Quick Reply: Help with exhaust options