Dynomax??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2000, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with Flowmaster or Dynomax, but I also question the 15-30 hp gain of the Flowmaster. Maybe 15 at the most. I have a Gibson on my truck, and they also claim a 15 hp gain. I don't know if I actually got it, but I can hardly notice a difference. The Gibson performance gain came with towing.

------------------
'97 F150 4x4 Off-Road Extended Cab Lariat Flareside white/tan, tan leather, 4.6, 3.55

bedliner
single-lid toolbox
Gibson 2.5" split-rear exit cat-back exhaust
K&N Air Filter

Many more modifications to come

Old 01-28-2000, 03:23 PM
I've used both the Flowmaster 40 series and the Dynamax Race Magnum on trucks. I am currently using the Race Magnum. I actually noticed slightly better low end power with the Race Magnum. Sound is good but not too loud. Flowmaster - I noticed a slight loss of low end power and louder than the Race Magnum. For the money, I prefer Dynamax. I think you really pay for the Flowmaster name. In summary, I liked both mufflers, but prefer the Dynamax Race Magnum. If you get the Race Magnum, get the oval shaped one, not the round one which is louder and essentially for race applications.

------------------
99 XLT 4X4 Reg Cab, Sport Package, 4.2 with 5 speed, 265/70/17 tires, 3.55 axle, 4 wheel discs and 4 wheel ABS, K&N air filter, a Dynamax Race Magnum muffler, Redine synthetic lubricants in motor and trans and a Kenwood CD stereo system.

Old 01-28-2000, 05:14 PM
Wink

Personally I have a Flowmaster 40 series single in dual out on my v6 and I love it. Its true that the power gain is more mid range but it is there. As far as sound goes its probally the closest to a v8 as you get IMPO.Even though I lost a little low end I still love it. By the way if You are going for sound the 40 series is 2 chambered unlike the 50 or 70 which is 3 so its louder. Also the 40 and 50 series are significanly smaller and less expensive than the Delta flow 50 series flowmaster.

------------------
2000 150 sport solid white, K&N filterpack the rest is still stock....for now anyway!

Old 01-29-2000, 12:36 AM
Question Dynomax??

I just got off the phone with a local muffler shop asking about which Flowmaster model is perfect for my V6. Quoting around $150 for a single inlet/dual outlet for either 50 or 70 series. He said he had a Dynomax performance muffler in stock that would be the right one for my truck for $89. Said it wouldn't be as raspy as the flowmaster.
I listened to the soundclips on Dynomax's site, the sound is similar to Gibson, I liked it. But they don't claim HP gain, like flowmaster claims 15-30 HP.
Who has experience with Dynomax??

------------------
'97 f-150 XLT V6 auto 3.55 silver reg cab flareside , 6 cd, Lariat floor mats, tonneau, ground effects, tint, glasspack w/ duals, new= ion optics fog lights, cracked windshield (thanks to a dodge caravan), 16X8 Eagle Alloys, K&N air filter (thanks Mudder). Future Mods= Billet Grille, driving lights, sunroof. the heartbeat stops here.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8 http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8/images/T004.wav

Old 01-29-2000, 12:58 AM
Poniesix8, I 've got the turbo Dynomaxs (2) and they sound good, don't know what they would do on a V-6.
If that $89.00 is for a dynomax and installed, that's a good price, if it's for the muffler only, walk away..You can get a Dynomax turbo for about $45 to 48.00s retail.
IMPO, Flowmasters, you pay for the name, and I'd question those increases of HP with Flowmaster....15 to 30 HP?????
Good Luck,check them all out.

------------------
fordyfour

2000 4X2 Flareside Lariat S/C
5.4,3.55 Ls
Tow Package
True duals, K&N Filter
Super White Headlamps

[This message has been edited by fordyfour (edited 01-28-2000).]

Old 01-29-2000, 08:27 PM
Ron,
I looked at Dynomax's cut-a-away model on the site and it appeared similar to the internal design of a glasspack with all the fiberglass packing. Dynomax claimed its used for sound deadening, but isn't it used to make the glasspack loud? Dynomax looked straight through while Flowmaster has obstablces for the exhaust to go around. I'm confused about what will make me happy and make my truck more 'go happy'.
Do you have a way to record your exhaust?

Old 01-29-2000, 09:58 PM
Ponysix8
My brother has a Dynomax Superturbo on his V6 bronco and a friend had a Dakota 5.9L with the Dynomax UltraFlo. They ARE NOT loud like glasspacks. Good rumble and get a little loud when you step on it. Definately not quiet, but no way the loudest out there. No interior resonance either.

Old 01-30-2000, 04:19 AM
PonySix8 - The Dynamax does not sound like a glasspack and is not as loud as my Flowmaster 40 Series was. You are right about looking straight through the Dynamax. I would think it would flow better than the Flowmaster because it is straight through and uses no baffles like the Flowmaster. Have no way to record it, but it has a good low strong sound on my 4.2. The fiberglass in the sides of the Dynamax does not get into the flow channel, so it does not inhibit the flow of the muffler. I think it just prevents echoing and resonating you might get with the Flowmaster. As far as chosing - the Dynamax is not too loud and maintains low end torque, while the Flowmaster 40 series is louder and will lose some low end but may help on high end. That has been my experience and I had a Flowmaster and Dynamax on the same truck for comparison.

------------------
99 XLT 4X4 Reg Cab, Sport Package, 4.2 with 5 speed, 265/70/17 tires, 3.55 axle, 4 wheel discs and 4 wheel ABS, K&N air filter, a Dynamax Race Magnum muffler, Redine synthetic lubricants in motor and trans and a Kenwood CD stereo system.

Old 02-02-2000, 01:40 PM
I had a set of Dynomax Super Turbos (true duals) on a 95 TBird w/ 4.6 V8. It was not very loud, just a little louder than the stock set up. I will give you this comment on the Dynomax - they were completely rusted out in two years. They were aluminized steel.

------------------

97 F150 Lariat 4X4 Ext. Cab. 5.4, AT, Tow Pkg, bedliner, white/grey 2tone w/ grey leather, Fact. CD changer, Gibson Side Swept, K&N, Bosch Platinum +4's,Michelin LTX 265/70 16, S/D Triton V8 emblems, Both doors cracked, Piston slap quieted by Mobile One & Slick 50 Synthetic.

Old 02-03-2000, 04:18 PM
i'm not too worried about a loud sound anymore, just looking for the performance side.
Race magnum, Turbo, Superturbo, UltrFlo! Still confused.
Dad mentioned something about turbo mufflers. they are cheap. had dual turbo mufflers on a 79 T-Bird (cool land yacht w/ T-Tops and huge V8) and that car was quiet.

Old 02-03-2000, 11:43 PM
Ron,
You have the Dynomax Race Magnum...I'm contemplating that one and the Ultraflo. Know what the Ultraflo sounds like on a 360, pretty darn good, good semi-loud rumble with no interior resonance. How about the Race Magnum? Any interior resonance? Tailpipe sound coming inside is ok, just no resonance. Just how loud is it, outside and inside cab, at idle/cruising and such?
Thanks

Old 02-03-2000, 11:57 PM
GMC305 - No resonance with the Race Magnum inside the truck. Good sound. My V6 is mistaken for a V8 by those that have heard it. If you get the Race Magnum, just make sure you get the oval shaped one and not the round small ones - they are for racing applications and I've heard noise complaints about them.

------------------

Old 02-04-2000, 01:35 AM
A gentleman from www.a-1performance.com said the Race Magnum and Ultra Flow are the same except the Ultra Flow is stainless steel.

Old 02-04-2000, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We put a Dynomax Super Turbo cat-back system on my wife's 99 Ranger 4.0 5-speed. I was afraid it would be too loud, but after having it installed, it's as quiet as the stock system, and *much* quieter than the Borla! I would have preferred just a bit more loudness perhaps, but I like it fine. It does flow very well, and I am impressed with the system, especially for the price!

If you're looking for a real power gain, just keep in mind that on these late-model V-8 F-150's, 10-14 hp is the most you'll ever see from a good high-quality cat-back exhaust system. 10-12hp from Gibson, 14hp from Jardine, in the "real world".

Some people do just replace the muffler, since it's the biggest point of restriction, and that's fine too when you want to save money. But if you're looking for a real power gain as your main priority, go with a cat-back system that has been properly flow-engineered, that way you'll get the most gain you can from the exhaust modification.

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 02-05-2000, 12:40 AM
Hey disipe, are you the orginial owner? if so, why didn't you take them turbos back and get a warantee replacement?? Did you fill out your warranty card and send it in? Limited life time warrenty on Dynomax...

------------------
fordyfour

2000 4X2 Oxford White/Harvest Gold Flareside Lariat S/C
5.4L,3.55 Ls
Tow Package
True duals(Dynomax Turbos) K&N Filter
Super White Headlamps
10'WO JL sub (enclosed)
ALL amps and speakers Kenwood

[This message has been edited by fordyfour (edited 02-04-2000).]

Quick Reply: Dynomax??