To header or not to header???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2000, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To header or not to header???

I need some help deciding. I could use some sound advice from those more experienced than me. Right now, I have a Gibson single cat-back. But, it's a little too conservative for me. I'd like some more rumble. I was thinking about installing headers. If I do, what would happen to performance and efficiency, and what brand would suit best? And, importantly, how would they sound? Should headers be insulated? And, how about free-flow cats? Do they have any real advantages? ...or should I just cut out the Gibson muffler and install a Flowmaster? What to do??? Thanks for your help.

------------------
99 F150XLT S/C Flareside 4x4 ORP 5.4L 3.73 Oxford White, Tow, Power Captain's chairs, Ford nerf bars, Genuine Steel grill guard, Superchip, K&N FIPK, Gibson 3" single rear side-swept cat-back, Code Alarm 2100

Old 03-30-2000, 08:26 PM
i would go with the cats first ...i hear headers have a good chance of leaking at the flange if they aren't done right..

------------------
-97 F150 FLARESIDE XLT REG.CAB.4X2 PACIFIC GREEN/GREY INTERIOR
-4.6L AUTO TRANNY 3.55 LS REAR
-MODS-
-ROUSH RACING PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION LOWERED 3 FRONT 3.5 REAR WITH BILSTIEN SHOCKS
-GOODYEAR EAGLE LS TIRES
-4X4 GRILL/BUMPER AND LIGHTS
-PAINT MATCHED SNUG LID BED COVER GREY CARPETED BED KIT
-VENTSHADES
-PAINT MATCHED SLOTTED TAILIGHT ACCENTS CLEAR FRONT CORNERS
-BLUE HALOGEN HEADLIGHTS/BUMPER LIGHTS TOO
-K&N FILTER-WMS AIR TUBE-CUSTOM RAM AIR FROM BUMPER OPENING
-SUPERCHIP(THANX MIKE!!) POWERAID(WHISTLE BOX) ACCELL SUPER STOCK PLUG WIRES BOSCH PLATINUM PLUS 4'S
-VALVOLINE FULL SYNTHETIC 10W30
-FLOWMASTER MUFFLER(to be changed to JARDINE system)
-SPEED GLO DASH& CARBON FIBER GAUGE ACCENT HUSKY LINER FLOOR MATS
-STEREO:
-ECLIPSE HEAD UNIT/SONY ADJUSTIBLE CROSSOVER MOUNTED IN DRIVER DOOR MAP POCKET/BOSTON 6.5 SEPERATES/RUN BY PIONEER AMP/2-12"ORION DVC SUBS POWERED BY ORION HCCA AMP/CUSTOM SUB BOX/1 FARAD CAP/WAY TOO MANY CD'S!!!!
CLIFFORD ALARM&REMOTE START.
"#6 STICKER" GO MARTIN!!

Old 03-31-2000, 02:00 PM
Hey RouschFan,

Thanks for the suggest. A couple questions. What's a "Poweraid (Whistle box)" that you have? And, which Flowmaster do you have and why are going to change to a Jardine sys? From what I've read on the threads, the Gibson and Jardine seem to be similar. The Gibson is an excellent exhaust, and I'm sure the Jardine is, too. But, I just want some more sound to go with the power, that's all.

Old 03-31-2000, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do a search for my previous posts on headers. I have 20,000 miles on mine now and they still do not perform any better than stock. Worse gas mileage too! And they sound tinny, like an exhaust leak. I miss the old manifolds and the lack of underhood noise! The headers did not make the exhaust note louder or change it in any way. They just sound like an underhood leak. No they are not leaking!!!!

chris

------------------
98 SC 4.6L stepside, Gibson headers, Gibson single exhaust, superchip, Intake mods, Piaa's, high end audio stuff.

Old 04-05-2000, 06:48 PM
I have a '98 with the 4.6L.
I first put on cherry bomb mufflers (glass packs just like the gibson, all glass packs are about the same) and it was alright in the sound department. But I learned from someone that races mustangs that glass packs absorb some of the sound waves. I since installed a flowmaster 2 chamber muffler and it is definitely a little louder with a deeper tone to it, like a V8 should be.
Added bonus, the 2 and 3 chamber flowmasters have been proven to provide more horsepower than no muffler at all. The way they are designed they actually pull exhaust gasses from the pipes like a vacuum.

'98 4.6L auto 3.55
flowmaster with dual out
K&N FIPK
Superchips
Westin step bars

Quick Reply: To header or not to header???