Paint the inside of chrome tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2000, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Paint the inside of chrome tips

I just got a FlowMaster exhaust installed and there is rust forming in my 31/2" tips. Has anyone ever painted the insides black?
If so what sorta paint would you suggest?

TommyRox in Tejas

------------------
TommyRox
99' 5.4L F-150 XLT White
  • Towing Package
  • Extended Cab
  • 3.55 LS
  • Kenwood 3011 CD Player
  • MTX 2-way speakers
  • Keyless Entry
  • Ford Bug Deflector
  • K&N FIPK
  • Tinted Windows/Vent Visor
  • FlowMaster 40 Series
tlmullenix@yahoo.com

Old 03-11-2000, 08:22 PM
first you need to clean all the exhaust soot out of your tips. I used starting fluid (ether}. Then sand the inside of the tips with sandpaper,I used 180 grit. Best paint to use is engine enamel as this will stand up to the heat. Black paint would work good,but I used silver. Most important is to paint them when it around 70 degrees or hotter outside.

------------------
97 F-150 s/c 4x4 off road package. 4.6,k&n,dual exhaust.

Old 03-14-2000, 12:10 AM
Cool

TommyRox - I just went through the exact same thing. Flowmaster installed exiting through a 3 1/2" chromed steel tip. Looked great for the first couple of days. Then it started showing that rust color on the inside. Since these trucks run so clean there wasn't any real soot forming on the inside.

Instead of going through everything that 94fan went through I just shot some black krylon paint into the tip when it was cool and dry inside it. I figure the krylon (or any other rust inhibiting spray paint) should keep the rust color at bay until soot takes over.

Tom in Tacoma

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the factory bells & whistles except for leather seats. Lund Deflector, Lund Premier Tonneau, K&N, Body-color painted Throttle Cover, blue wire-looms, Pentaliner S/R, Window tint, factory side-steps, Infiniti component speakers up front, Polk Audio speakers in back, Superchip, Flowmaster 'Delta-Flow' w/ 3" pipe, Clear turn signal lenses. Next up - billet grill. Tom in Tacoma (Washington not Toyota)
Go check out http://communities.msn.com/SS97FordsPics for the second best website for F150's

Old 03-14-2000, 02:21 AM
I had the same problem when i got flows on my last f150. i had an STX and had 5" rear exit tips. two days later i hit a tree ( i was trying to see how loud i could get it and when around a turn to fast. i had about 1$15,000 in damage and 2 months later after it was fixed i noticed rust foming on the outside edged of the tips. i took it back to the shop and they put on new tips for me but i sold the truck about a month after that to get my ightning.never thought about painting it though. GREAT IDEA.

------------------
RED 1999 Lightnig clear corners (tails on the way) k&n, superchip, A.R.E. tonneau cover, permatech glowing sprayed on bedliner,(mine), (2 f150 supercrew lariats 4x4,1999 EB expedition 4x4, 2000 f150 lariat 4x4 couple of f350 company trucks but they arent worth the gas it would take to drive them off a cliff)(dads trucks), (Dodge Dokota R/T little brothers)

Old 03-14-2000, 07:08 PM
I painted the inside of my 3 1/2 inch slant tips red. This is the same color as most of my truck. I lightly scuffed the inside of the tips...Wiped them clean with alcohol...Spread vasoline on the edge of the tips carefully...covered the tips with a towel... sprayed BBQ paint primer red,several coats....Then sprayed BBQ paint red gloss,several coats..It's been 2 years and they look like new...Good Luck ...Capt.

------------------
Capt. America..,
1998 F-150 XLTSC...2WD.. . 4.10LS rear...auto E40D... 5.4L...Flairside... Ground effects... Billet Pedals... Billet Grill... Billet Brake lite... Oval Mirror... Bed rails... Bug Deflector... Wood Grain Kit...Fog lites... TPS...Velocity tube... K&N... ss Ford tag.,.Tinted Windows... overhead/floor consoles... Mood lights...Blue bulbs... Alarm...Radar...Dashmat... Fire/Ice rear window tint ...conspicuity reflectors... cd changer...mobil 1... Painted rear Drums... Helwing Sway Bar... Dual Exhaust... Halogen Back-up bulbs... clear corner lens...
Tail lens covers... Leather...Floor Mats... Seat covers...Tow Pkge...
Side window Louvers... Painted Brake calipers... Custom Captian America Paint Job...TRIPLE LED brake lights...Rain guards... Painted throttle body cover...sliding rear window...Superchip...Custom Gas cap holder...2" leveling shackels...Fox tail key chain...Clear turn signal bulbs..

Old 03-15-2000, 09:30 AM
Thumbs up

Hey Captain,
Excellent ! I used the BBQ Paint too but black and it looks much better ! I wished I would have waited a tad because I love your vaseline trick - I went the Mineral Spirits route - ohhh well.
Thanks for the feedback !

[This message has been edited by TommyRox (edited 03-15-2000).]

Quick Reply: Paint the inside of chrome tips